Immune System & Environment: Can Living Near Loved Ones Make You Sick?

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of environment causing perpetual sickness. The person sharing their experience mentions living in a different state and noticing that their husband got sick more often than they did, but after moving to live in the same neighborhood as his parents, they started getting sick as often as he did. The conversation also brings up the possibility of allergens and toxins in the environment, but it is advised to seek medical advice for a proper diagnosis. The conversation ends with a reminder to not give medical advice on the forum.
Nintend0possum
TL;DR Summary
Me and My husband and his family seem to always be getting sick about every other month or so. This is extremely annoying to me as I used to never get sick when I lived in a complete different state. I’ve been living here for 2 years now. Why is this happening?
Ok.. When me and my husband were dating, I lived in a state 800 miles away from him. I noticed he got sick more often than I did.. I thought it was poor immune system and genetics, because I barely ever got sick but he and his family did. When we got married and I moved to where he was.. I started getting sick as often as he did. We live in the same neighborhood as his parents. Can environment cause perpetual sickness? What could this be?

Biology news on Phys.org
It would help to know the states involved.

Some states have higher level and variety of allergens in the air than others.

In California, Oregon and other states there are likely remnants of recent fires still in the air and on trees and shrubs that could give you a dose of allergens.

Could be environment. Heck, could be a toxin in your home.

You haven't specified what you mean by "sick". Maybe you're experiencing anemia, weakness, and kidney impairment from lead toxicity for all we know.

We do not give medical advice on this forum. It's OK to give general medical information and the previous posters have done that. But it is bordering on advice, so after giving my experience on this matter I will close the thread.

I would get sinus trouble every now and then like most people. Then I moved to the capital of Australia, Canberra. I was sick with sinus all the time. It waxed and waned, but was always there to some extent. When really bad I had to go away for a while. I saw my doctor who said Canberra is likely the allergy/sinus capital of the world because of the large number of pine forests it has with its associated pollen. Many people have sinus problems all the time, and I was one of them.

I moved back to Brisbane, Australia - and guess what it went away. So the answer to your question is yes, but a medical practitioner is needed to sort it out. Please see one. I am sure many others can give similar experiences regarding sickness and where you live but all it will do is reinforce yes it is possible. Seeing your doctor to sort it out is the answer. With that thread closed.

Thanks
Bill

Likes berkeman

1. How does living near loved ones affect the immune system?

Living near loved ones can have both positive and negative effects on the immune system. On one hand, having strong social connections and a support system has been shown to boost immune function and reduce stress levels. On the other hand, living in close proximity to others can also increase the risk of exposure to infectious diseases and allergens, which can weaken the immune system.

2. Can living near loved ones make you more susceptible to illness?

Yes, living near loved ones can potentially make you more susceptible to illness. Being in close contact with others increases the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, especially if one of your loved ones is sick. Additionally, living in a crowded or polluted area can also weaken the immune system and make you more susceptible to illness.

3. Is there a link between living near loved ones and autoimmune diseases?

There is some evidence to suggest that living near loved ones can play a role in the development of autoimmune diseases. Exposure to certain environmental factors, such as pollution or infectious agents, may trigger an immune response that leads to the development of autoimmune diseases in genetically susceptible individuals. However, more research is needed to fully understand this link.

4. What steps can you take to protect your immune system while living near loved ones?

To protect your immune system while living near loved ones, it is important to practice good hygiene habits, such as washing your hands regularly and avoiding close contact with others who are sick. You can also take steps to reduce your exposure to environmental pollutants, such as using air purifiers or avoiding heavily trafficked areas. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet and regular exercise, can also help boost your immune system.

5. Are there any benefits to living near loved ones for the immune system?

Yes, there are potential benefits to living near loved ones for the immune system. As mentioned earlier, having strong social connections and a support system has been shown to boost immune function and reduce stress levels. Additionally, living near loved ones can also provide a sense of security and emotional well-being, which can have positive effects on overall health and immune function.