Impact of a elastic string on pendulum

In summary, the linear regression has a y intercept of -0.04 and the slope is slightly to high at 4.0769, yielding a value for g of around 9.7 ms^-2 instead of 9.8.
pschilk
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hello All,

I was performing an experiment in which the perod of oscllation of a pendulun at different lengths is measured using a light gate.

while performing the experiment i noticed that the string was slightly elastic, differing from the perfect pendulum.

I was attempting to figure outwhat kind of impact this may have had.

On my T^2 (s^2) vs l (m) graph the errors I could identify where the folliwng:

the linear regression has a y intercept of -0.04. Small but present. So all Periods where recorded slightly too low or all lengrhs slightly to small

the slope is slightly to high at 4.0769, which yields a value gor g of around 9.7 ms^-2 instead of 9.8. Perfect slope would be 4.028

And ofc there was some random error on each data point.

But i am not able to research how a slight elasticity in the cord would affect the results. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
pschilk said:
the linear regression has a y intercept of -0.04
pschilk said:
the slope is slightly to high
If you force the line to go through the origin (add a lot of (0,0) datapoints) does the slope look better? If so, what does that tell you about which datapoints are the problem?
If you look at the general scatter of the datapoints about the line, could the error in the slope just be happenstance rather than a systematic error?
See if http://pages.mtu.edu/~fmorriso/cm3215/UncertaintySlopeInterceptOfLeastSquaresFit.pdf helps.
pschilk said:
how a slight elasticity in the cord would affect the results.
It would slightly stretch the cord at the lowest point because of the centripetal force needed, but you should be using small amplitude swings, so I think it unlikely to be much of a source of error. If you know the elasticity you could calculate a limit on the error from that. You would nee to compare that with other error sources.

1. What is the relationship between the length of an elastic string and the period of a pendulum?

The length of an elastic string does not affect the period of a pendulum. The period of a pendulum is determined by its length and the acceleration due to gravity. However, an elastic string may affect the amplitude of a pendulum's oscillations.

2. How does the elasticity of a string impact the motion of a pendulum?

The elasticity of a string can affect the amplitude and speed of a pendulum's oscillations. A more elastic string will stretch more and store more potential energy, resulting in a larger amplitude and faster oscillations. On the other hand, a less elastic string will have a smaller amplitude and slower oscillations.

3. Can an elastic string change the period of a pendulum?

No, an elastic string cannot change the period of a pendulum. The period of a pendulum is determined by its length and the acceleration due to gravity. However, the elasticity of a string can affect the amplitude and speed of a pendulum's oscillations.

4. How does the mass of the pendulum bob affect the impact of an elastic string?

The mass of the pendulum bob does not directly affect the impact of an elastic string. However, a heavier pendulum bob may stretch the elastic string more, resulting in a larger amplitude and faster oscillations. The mass of the pendulum bob can also affect the period of the pendulum.

5. What are the applications of studying the impact of an elastic string on a pendulum?

Studying the impact of an elastic string on a pendulum can have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. It can help in understanding the behavior of elastic materials, designing pendulum-based systems, and predicting the motion of objects attached to elastic strings.