Implication of a set of zeros with positive measure

In summary, a set of zeros with positive measure is a set of values with a non-zero probability of occurring, indicating that the set is not empty and has a measurable amount of elements. This concept is significant in various fields, such as probability and statistics, as it allows for the prediction and analysis of outcomes. In probability theory, it is known as an event and is important in determining the likelihood of certain events happening. An example of a set of zeros with positive measure is the set of all possible outcomes when rolling a six-sided die. This concept also has practical applications in real-world situations, such as finance and risk management, where it allows for the analysis and prediction of uncertain outcomes.
noowutah
I have a non-zero measured subset [itex]X\subseteq\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] on which [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\psi_{i}x_{i}=0[/itex] for all [itex]x=(x_{1},\ldots,x_{n})[/itex] in [itex]X[/itex]. How can I show that [itex]\psi_{i}=0[/itex] for [itex]i=1,\ldots,n[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
A non-zero ψ_i for at least one i would allow to solve the sum equation for ...
This will eventually lead to a contradiction with "non-zero measure".

1. What does it mean for a set of zeros to have positive measure?

A set of zeros with positive measure refers to a set of values in a given system that has a non-zero probability of occurring. This means that the set of zeros is not empty and has a measurable amount of elements.

2. What is the significance of a set of zeros with positive measure?

A set of zeros with positive measure is significant because it indicates that there is a non-zero chance of certain values or events occurring. This is important in various fields of science, such as probability and statistics, as it allows for the prediction and analysis of outcomes.

3. How is a set of zeros with positive measure related to probability theory?

In probability theory, a set of zeros with positive measure is known as an event. It is a subset of all possible outcomes and has a non-zero probability of occurring. This is important in determining the likelihood of certain events happening and making predictions based on that probability.

4. Can you provide an example of a set of zeros with positive measure?

One example of a set of zeros with positive measure is the set of all possible outcomes when rolling a six-sided die. The set would include the numbers 1 through 6, and each number has an equal chance of occurring, making the probability of each outcome non-zero.

5. How is the concept of a set of zeros with positive measure applicable in real-world situations?

The concept of a set of zeros with positive measure has practical applications in various fields, such as finance, economics, and risk management. It allows for the analysis and prediction of outcomes in uncertain situations, such as stock market fluctuations or the likelihood of natural disasters.