Implications from propositions A => B, A <=> C and C => B

• Thread starter x-is-y
  • Start date
In summary, the key suggests that if you can prove that A => B, B => C and C => A, you have proven that A <=> B and C <=> A.
x-is-y
I'm not 100% sure what this is in English so I'll try to describe it. Gives that:

A: x^2 < 16
B: -4 < x
C: -4 < x < 4

I'm supposed to put out every possibility for => and <=> between A,B and C. The key says that A => B, A <=> C and C => B. I can understand this, but isn't it true for every proposition (I think that it's called this) that A <=> A. That is, every proposition implies itself?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you have three propositions, A, B and C and want to prove that they are equivalent. That means that
A <=> B, B <=> C and A <=> C
which can also be written as
A => B, B => A, A => C, C => A, B => C, C => B.
In words: if you know that one of them is true/false, they must all be true/false.
Obviously, A <=> A is always true and it's not included in the list.

You can prove all 6 of them consecutively, but that would be a lot of work. Therefore we find a shortcut:
suppose you would be able to prove half of them, namely that A => B, B => C and C => A.
Then because B implies C and C implies A, B also implies A so you automatically get B => A and therefore A <=> B.
Similarly, C => A and A => B so C also implies B (via A) hence B <=> C.
So proving these three statements will prove all six of them.

This is what the key suggests. It is wrong though, in claiming that A => B, A <=> C and C => B suffices. For example, you cannot get B => A (there is no premise starting with B).

I think you misunderstood the question. Nothing was said about A<=>B, B<=>C, C<=>A. there is nothing here that implies B=> A and the answer key does NOT suggest such a thing.

x-is-y said:
I'm supposed to put out every possibility for => and <=> between A,B and C. The key says that A => B, A <=> C and C => B.
Probably then I got confused by the formulation.
What is meant by "put out every possbility"?
And I don't think I see the relevance of the question in the first part of the post to the question "isn't it true for every proposition ...".

So I apologize if I mislead you x-is-y, perhaps you can try to rephrase the question (or if someone else understands it, explain it to my numb mind)?

1. What is the difference between A => B and A <=> C?

The symbol "=>" indicates a one-way implication, which means that if A is true, then B must also be true. On the other hand, "<=>" indicates a two-way implication, or a logical equivalence, which means that A and C are equivalent statements and can be substituted for each other in any logical argument.

2. What is the significance of these propositions?

These propositions provide logical relationships between three statements, A, B, and C. They can be used to make deductions and draw conclusions about these statements.

3. Can you provide an example of A => B?

An example of A => B would be "If it is raining, then the ground is wet." If it is true that it is raining, then it must also be true that the ground is wet.

4. How can these propositions be applied in real-world scenarios?

In real-world scenarios, these propositions can be used to analyze cause and effect relationships, make predictions, and evaluate the validity of arguments or statements.

5. Can A, B, and C all be false in these propositions?

Yes, it is possible for all three statements to be false in these propositions. For example, if A is "The sun is shining," B is "The flowers are blooming," and C is "The temperature is above 70 degrees," all three statements could be false simultaneously.