Implicit Differentiation: Find Y

In summary, implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an equation that is not written in the form of y = f(x). To perform implicit differentiation, you must identify terms with both x and y, take the derivative of each term with respect to x, and solve for dy/dx. This method is useful for equations that cannot be solved for y and is typically used for implicit functions or non-standard equations. However, it cannot be used for equations with only x or y terms, and some equations may be too complex for implicit differentiation.
oswald

Homework Statement

Find y'

Homework Equations

5.GIF

The Attempt at a Solution

imagem.GIF

My solution:
imagem2.GIF

it's correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to tell until you post the question :wink:

yes, telling us where to find y prime FROM would be helpful :D

I find nothing wrong with your solution. :rofl:

Your question stumps me. my guess to the solution would be dirty rabbit eating, fox wearing donkey butt. I am pretty confident this is right. Ask your professor, he will
probably say the same.

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an equation that is not written in the form of y = f(x). It is commonly used when an equation has both x and y terms and cannot be easily solved for y.

How do you perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, you must first identify the terms in the equation that contain both x and y. Then, you will take the derivative of each term with respect to x. Any terms with y must also be multiplied by dy/dx. Finally, you can solve for dy/dx to find the derivative.

Why is implicit differentiation useful?

Implicit differentiation is useful because it allows us to find the derivative of equations that cannot be solved for y. It is also helpful when dealing with implicit functions, where the relationship between x and y is not explicitly defined.

When should I use implicit differentiation?

You should use implicit differentiation when you have an equation that contains both x and y terms and cannot be easily solved for y. This is often the case with implicit functions or when the equation is written in a non-standard form.

Can implicit differentiation be used for all types of equations?

No, implicit differentiation can only be used for equations that have both x and y terms. It cannot be used for equations that only contain x or only contain y. Additionally, some equations may be too complex to differentiate implicitly, in which case other methods may need to be used.