Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit differentiation vs differential equations?

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    Hello, I have recently started a little implicit differentiation and I have seen DEs before but I know that I still need to work on my differentiation and integration a little more before I am ready to tackle those. Anyway, I wish to ask, what distinguishes implicit differentiation from a differential equation? In implicit differentiation you are solving an equation with a derivative in it so does that make it a differential equation even if it is comparably easier to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

In implicit differentiation you are taking a known expression, say of two variables x and y, that cannot be expressed as a function y = f(x), and you are differentiating it with respect to one of the variables, say x, in order to solve for the derivative of the other variable, dy/dx.

For a simple example, an equation of a circle is ##x^2 + y^2 = 1##. This cannot be put in the form y = f(x) for a single f(x) that describes the entire curve. If we differentiate this with respect to x, we find

$$2x + 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{x}{y}.$$

Note that we started with a specific expression that related x and y and derived dy/dx.

In a differential equation, you are given an expression in terms of the dy/dx, y and x and asked to find the function y = f(x) (or even an implicit relation between the variables) which satisfies this equation.

So, for example, say you were just given the equation dy/dx = -x/y. You don't yet know anything beyond this equation. When you solve this equation, you find that ##y^2 = -x^2 + C##, for some constant C. (You may be given some initial data which enables you to pin down this constant, e.g., y = 1 when x = 0 would specify C = 1).

Again, the difference here was that we had an equation for dy/dx given in terms of x and y, and we had to solve for the relationship between y and x that satisfies that differential equation.

In the first case, we had the relation between x and y, and we wanted to compute the derivative dy/dx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook