Importance of "A Mathematical Theory of Communication"

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Messages
2,163
Reaction score
191
I am not sure this is the right section to ask this question, but here it goes. So, I was studying Stat. Physics and I came across this paper, A Mathematical Theory of Communication. What it's so important about this paper?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
I am not sure this is the right section to ask this question, but here it goes. So, I was studying Stat. Physics and I came across this paper, A Mathematical Theory of Communication. What it's so important about this paper?
I would say it is the beginning of entropy in mathematics and physics as a measure for the disorder. Both subjects use Shannon's definition of entropy to characterize uncertainties in multiple bit / particle systems. It makes such systems manageable.
 
It’s one of the foundational papers of information theory.

@vanhees71 has recommended the following for the information theory approach to statistical mechanics

vanhees71 said:
A. Katz, Principles of Statistical Mechanics, W. H. Freeman
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and dextercioby