Importance of uncertainty and probability in research papers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Zack K
Messages
166
Reaction score
6
As someone who is interested in astrophysics, I always get emphasized on the importance of knowing statistics and error analysis in results of a calculation. However when I read about real physics papers, I never see any numerical solutions, just equations that demonstrate phenomena. I know that the physicist who did the paper probably did calculations to affirm if the equation is correct, but why don't these errors ever show up in the actual research paper?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Zack K said:
... but why don't these errors ever show up in the actual research paper?
This is a general statement which already by its generality cannot be true.

Can you give at least a few examples of what you meant, i.e. references and locations in the text?
 
I know at least two cases when statistics and such are not required in (physics) science papers. One is, when it is already a 'textbook' and it is no longer about a research but about a proven theory, intended to be used for education.
The other is, when it comes from theoretical physics and it has no direct connection to actual experiments: in this case the equations can be about 'exact' math so no statistics required (that headache will belong to the experimental physicist later on when he tries to use/prove/disprove those results...).

There may be other cases and I agree with @fresh_42 that examples would be great.
 
I think it is implied the reader would know how to make use of these equations. Though, I don't completely understand the question. If there are calculation error due to the method of being numerical, that should be expected and shouldn't be an issue as long as the error doesn't exceed some already proved bound. An error could be with an equation itself, or rather the supposed implications of said equation. I'm just grasping at straws here, though..