Improved Latex Extension for Firefox & Windows - No More Crashing!

In summary, the latex extension allows you to render latex expressions in Firefox and Windows. It's useful for learning and for writing up complicated expressions before submitting them. There is also a way to add custom code.
  • #1
Thrice
258
0
http://www.mathphyswiki.com/images/4/41/Latex_extension.xpi

It doesn't crash anymore :biggrin:

Firefox & windows only, sorry. I have a few more features I hope I can get in today/tomorrow before I take it out of beta. As always, any suggestions would be appreciated - especially on the interface.

ETA: Drag it into a firefox window to install.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
What exactly does it do? My main OS is Linux, though. :(
 
  • #3
Renders it client-side. It's good for learning latex, or for writing up a complicated expression before submitting it. I'm thinking I'll add automatic uploading sometime today. Linux support is my next big project after finishing the minor features.
 
  • #4
nice, I like this..
very handy, but when I press render, I get nothing..
 
  • #5
Thrice said:
Renders it client-side. It's good for learning latex, or for writing up a complicated expression before submitting it. I'm thinking I'll add automatic uploading sometime today. Linux support is my next big project after finishing the minor features.
Sounds good. I'll wait. :)
 
  • #6
ziad1985 said:
nice, I like this..
very handy, but when I press render, I get nothing..
Hmm I thought I got rid of that bug. Is your c:\temp folder writeable? Try closing firefox & starting it again. Also try to reproduce it & post the steps.
 
  • #7
I just created a folder called temp in C: and it worked just fine.
 
  • #8
Glad to hear it :)
 
  • #9
neutrino said:
What exactly does it do? My main OS is Linux, though. :(
Linux only version is up.

http://mathphyswiki.com/latex/latex-linux.xpi

It involves some fairly sophisticated code. I'll eventually figure out how to merge it into the main trunk..

The windows version is currently bogged down in the https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4082" . If you've tried it & you have an addons.mozilla account, post something & bug those editors into making it public. :p
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #10
Thrice said:
Linux only version is up.

http://mathphyswiki.com/latex/latex-linux.xpi

It involves some fairly sophisticated code. I'll eventually figure out how to merge it into the main trunk..

The windows version is currently bogged down in the https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4082" . If you've tried it & you have an addons.mozilla account, post something & bug those editors into making it public. :p

Great! Thank you very much. This seems to be very useful. Is there a way to add custom code?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #11
Yeah ... mostly. Rename the .xpi as .zip & check. Adding new favorites is easy, adding new latex functions is hard. I'd appreciate any suggestions too.
 
  • #12
Thrice said:
Yeah ... mostly. Rename the .xpi as .zip & check. Adding new favorites is easy
Which file do I use to change the favourites? Should I install it again after changing them?
 
  • #13
neutrino said:
Which file do I use to change the favourites? Should I install it again after changing them?
chrome/content/texwindow.xul

http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/extensiondev/" extension is very good for testing xul. Yeah you'll have to install it again unless you edit the currently installed extension.(in which case you just restart)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #14
Thrice said:
chrome/content/texwindow.xul

unless you edit the currently installed extension.(in which case you just restart)

Tried that, but I get this error when trying to save the file. (I was accessing it as root, and that file was inside my home folder.)
You are trying to save the file on a read-only disk. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

Of course, having the option to change the favourites from within the browser will always be welcome. :wink:
 
  • #15
neutrino said:
Tried that, but I get this error when trying to save the file. (I was accessing it as root, and that file was inside my home folder.)
I don't know why firefox makes it read only. You'll have to change permissions.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1442/snapshot9mv9.th.jpg

neutrino said:
Of course, having the option to change the favourites from within the browser will always be welcome. :wink:
yeah I was thinking about that & I have no idea how to do it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #16
Changing the permission worked! Thanks. Although I added \\kappa to the list of Greek letters and it appears as a mu. :biggrin:
 
  • #17
You'd need to change its image src at <image src="chrome://... /> then go to chrome/skin/favorites and add the kappa image.

I've updated it with some more greek stuff.

http://mathphyswiki.com/latex/latex-linux.xpi
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #18
http://mathphyswiki.com/index.php?title=Latex_extension

K version 1.0 with uploading is done. I'm probably done with major features for now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the improved Latex extension for Firefox and Windows?

The improved Latex extension for Firefox and Windows is designed to provide a stable and seamless experience for users when using Latex equations on the web. It aims to eliminate crashes and improve overall performance.

2. How does the improved Latex extension prevent crashes on Firefox and Windows?

The improved Latex extension uses advanced coding and error handling techniques to prevent potential crashes caused by Latex equations. It also has a built-in automatic recovery system to restore the extension in case of a crash.

3. Is the improved Latex extension compatible with all versions of Firefox and Windows?

Yes, the improved Latex extension is designed to be compatible with all versions of Firefox and Windows. However, it is recommended to use the latest versions for optimal performance and compatibility.

4. Can I customize the improved Latex extension for my specific needs?

Yes, the improved Latex extension allows for customization through its settings menu. You can adjust the rendering options, font sizes, and other settings to suit your preferences.

5. Is the improved Latex extension free to use?

Yes, the improved Latex extension is completely free to use and can be downloaded from the official Firefox add-ons store. However, if you find the extension useful, you can support the developers by making a donation.

Similar threads

  • MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
Replies
3
Views
4K
  • MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
Replies
3
Views
264
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
14
Views
2K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
12
Views
2K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
1
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
2
Replies
48
Views
7K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
4
Views
3K
Back
Top