Impulse and Momentum of a belly flop

In summary, the conversation involved solving a problem involving a person jumping into water from a height of 2.50 m. The person's mass was given as 62.5 kg and the question asked for the speed at which they hit the water, as well as the magnitude of their impulse, acceleration, time in the water, and average net force. The speed and impulse were found to be 7m/s and -437.5 Kg m/s respectively. After discussing different equations and attempting to solve for acceleration, momentum, and energy conservation, the conversation ended with the suggestion to try using one-dimensional motion equations.
zoner7

Homework Statement

A relative of yours belly flops from a height of 2.50 m (ouch!) and stops moving after descending 0.500 m underwater. Her mass is 62.5 kg. (a) What is her speed when she strikes the water? Ignore air resistance. (b) What is the magnitude of her impulse between when she hit the water, and when she stopped? (c) What was the magnitude of her acceleration in the pool? Assume that it is constant. (d) How long was she in the water before she stopped moving? (e) What was the magnitude of the average net force exerted on her after she hit the water until she stopped? (f) Do you think this hurt?

So I'm stuck on C here, and I have a feeling that the solution is quite simple as well.

Homework Equations

J = F*t = Pf - pi
Conservation of momentum...

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved for the speed and the impulse.

I found speed to be 7m/s and impulse to be -437.5 Kg m/s when she strikes the water. I surmised that when she stops her impulse must be 0... what do they mean by between when she hit the water and when she stopped? I'm guessing this is a change in impulse, which I suppose is exactly what I answered.

Anyhow, I've been manipulating various equations trying to find acceleration in the pool. I know that time is not necessary to solve for acceleration, because the next question asks for the time.

I tried using conservation of energy, conservation of momentum and impulse equations. I couldn't seem to isolate force without time.

Any hints? Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
zoner7 said:
I surmised that when she stops her impulse must be 0... what do they mean by between when she hit the water and when she stopped? I'm guessing this is a change in impulse, which I suppose is exactly what I answered.

You mean when she stops her velocity is 0? The impulse is the change in momentum (i.e. between when she hit the water and when she stopped) so your reasoning here is right.

Anyhow, I've been manipulating various equations trying to find acceleration in the pool. I know that time is not necessary to solve for acceleration, because the next question asks for the time.

I tried using conservation of energy, conservation of momentum and impulse equations. I couldn't seem to isolate force without time.

Any hints? Thank you in advance

Have you tried with the equations for one-dimensional motion?

phyzmatix said:
Have you tried with the equations for one-dimensional motion?

Funny you should suggest that. I actually right after posting. for some reason my units kept coming out in m^3/s^2... no idea why. I checked over it numerous times but found nothing

zoner7 said:
Funny you should suggest that. I actually right after posting. for some reason my units kept coming out in m^3/s^2... no idea why. I checked over it numerous times but found nothing

Could you show us what you did? (step by step)

1. What is impulse in relation to a belly flop?

Impulse refers to the change in momentum that occurs when a belly flop is performed. It is a measure of the force and time of impact on the body.

2. How does the mass of the body affect the momentum of a belly flop?

The mass of the body has a direct impact on the momentum of a belly flop. A larger body mass will result in a greater momentum, making the belly flop more forceful and potentially more painful.

3. What is the role of velocity in a belly flop?

Velocity, or the speed of the body as it hits the water, is a critical factor in the impulse and momentum of a belly flop. The higher the velocity, the greater the force of impact and the more momentum is transferred to the body.

4. How does the surface tension of the water affect the impulse and momentum of a belly flop?

The surface tension of the water plays a key role in the belly flop by providing resistance against the body. This resistance decreases the velocity and therefore the momentum of the body upon impact.

5. How can the impulse and momentum of a belly flop be reduced?

The impulse and momentum of a belly flop can be reduced by decreasing the velocity of the body and by spreading out the impact over a larger area of the body. Techniques such as bending the knees and arms can help to distribute the force of impact and reduce the overall impulse and momentum.