Impulse and Momentum of a belly flop

  • Thread starter Thread starter zoner7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Impulse Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
zoner7
Messages
89
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A relative of yours belly flops from a height of 2.50 m (ouch!) and stops moving after descending 0.500 m underwater. Her mass is 62.5 kg. (a) What is her speed when she strikes the water? Ignore air resistance. (b) What is the magnitude of her impulse between when she hit the water, and when she stopped? (c) What was the magnitude of her acceleration in the pool? Assume that it is constant. (d) How long was she in the water before she stopped moving? (e) What was the magnitude of the average net force exerted on her after she hit the water until she stopped? (f) Do you think this hurt?

So I'm stuck on C here, and I have a feeling that the solution is quite simple as well.

Homework Equations


J = F*t = Pf - pi
Conservation of momentum...

The Attempt at a Solution



I already solved for the speed and the impulse.

I found speed to be 7m/s and impulse to be -437.5 Kg m/s when she strikes the water. I surmised that when she stops her impulse must be 0... what do they mean by between when she hit the water and when she stopped? I'm guessing this is a change in impulse, which I suppose is exactly what I answered.

Anyhow, I've been manipulating various equations trying to find acceleration in the pool. I know that time is not necessary to solve for acceleration, because the next question asks for the time.

I tried using conservation of energy, conservation of momentum and impulse equations. I couldn't seem to isolate force without time.

Any hints? Thank you in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zoner7 said:
I surmised that when she stops her impulse must be 0... what do they mean by between when she hit the water and when she stopped? I'm guessing this is a change in impulse, which I suppose is exactly what I answered.

You mean when she stops her velocity is 0? The impulse is the change in momentum (i.e. between when she hit the water and when she stopped) so your reasoning here is right.

Anyhow, I've been manipulating various equations trying to find acceleration in the pool. I know that time is not necessary to solve for acceleration, because the next question asks for the time.

I tried using conservation of energy, conservation of momentum and impulse equations. I couldn't seem to isolate force without time.

Any hints? Thank you in advance

Have you tried with the equations for one-dimensional motion?
 
phyzmatix said:
Have you tried with the equations for one-dimensional motion?

Funny you should suggest that. I actually right after posting. for some reason my units kept coming out in m^3/s^2... no idea why. I checked over it numerous times but found nothing
 
zoner7 said:
Funny you should suggest that. I actually right after posting. for some reason my units kept coming out in m^3/s^2... no idea why. I checked over it numerous times but found nothing

Could you show us what you did? (step by step)