In hot pursuit, Agent Logan of the FBI

• Thread starter hitemup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, Homework Equations state that the agent can row at an angle of 24.9 degrees upstream and run 104m along the bank in a total time of 862 seconds.
hitemup

Homework Statement

[/B]
In hot pursuit, Agent Logan of the FBI must get directly across a 1200-m-wide river in minimum time. The river's current is 0.80 m/s, he can row a boat at 1.60 m/s, and he can run 3.00 m/s. Describe the path he should take(rowing plus running along the shore) for the minimum crossing time, and determine the minimum time.

Homework Equations

x = v*t

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
---------.-------------
2 <---vRiver= 0.80 m/s

m
---------/----------------

Let the angle between dashes and slash be x.
The agent must be at the dot when he's done with rowing and running.
The distance between the dot and the point he arrives after rowing(bold dashes) is y.
Rowing time is: t1
Running time is: t2So the equations are:

1200 = 1.60*(sinx)*t1
y = (1.60*(cosx) - 0.80)*t1
y = 3.00 * t2

t1 + t2 = 750/sinx + y/3.00
t1 + t2 = (750/sinx) + (1.60*(cosx) - 0.80)*1200/(3*1.60*(sinx))

In short,

t1 + t2 = 550/(sinx) + 400cot(x)

After taking derivative,

-550(cosx)/(sin2x) - 400/(sin2x) = 0

The angle I got from this is 136.7 degrees.
180-136.7 = 43.3 degrees is the angle between the river current and the boat.

But according to my book, the correct answer is the following.
"Row at an angle of 24.9 degrees upstream and run 104m along the bank in a total time of 862 seconds."I guess my thinking on this question is wrong. Any ideas how to draw the vectors here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I solved the problem and I got the result from the book. I suggest keeping your variables as symbolic during the calculations, and using their numerical values just at the end. (In that way you get rid of all those numbers and you get pretty neat expressions). Give names to the quantities:
##d=1200##m
##v_{row}=1.60##m/s
##v_{riv}=0.80##m/s
##v_{run}=3.00##m/s
Apart from that, you should use the angle defined as you want it in the answer. With that, the velocity of the boat can be written as:
##\vec{v}=(v_{row}\cos\theta,v_{row}\sin\theta-v_{riv})##

I consider your approach is correct, just revise your calculations using what I just told you.

At the end of the calculation you will notice that the value of the angle does not depend on the width of the river. (If you replace the numbers from the beginning it is impossible to notice that)

Last edited:
Likes hitemup
you add 0.8 not subtract it xd

gerardooo said:
you add 0.8 not subtract it xd
Not quite.
He will row partly against the current, so 1.60*(cosx) - 0.80 is correct. The error is that the distance to run is never negative, so it should read y = |(1.60*(cosx) - 0.80)|*t1.
And since there is no benefit in arriving upstream of the target, we can simplify that to y = -(1.60*(cosx) - 0.80)*t1.

1. Who is Agent Logan and what does he do for the FBI?

Agent Logan is a highly skilled and experienced FBI agent who specializes in tracking down and apprehending dangerous criminals. He is known for his relentless pursuit and unwavering dedication to his job.

2. What is the main goal of "In hot pursuit, Agent Logan of the FBI"?

The main goal of this story is to follow Agent Logan as he chases after a notorious criminal and to see if he is able to successfully capture and bring them to justice.

3. Is this story based on a real FBI agent or events?

No, this story is a work of fiction and is not based on any real FBI agents or events. However, it may contain elements that are inspired by real-life cases and investigations.

4. What makes Agent Logan a successful FBI agent?

Agent Logan possesses a combination of intelligence, physical prowess, and unwavering determination that make him a highly successful FBI agent. He is also highly trained in various investigative and tactical techniques.

5. Is "In hot pursuit, Agent Logan of the FBI" suitable for all ages?

This story may contain some intense action and violence, so it may not be suitable for younger readers. However, it ultimately depends on the individual's maturity level and their comfort with such content.