Relative Motion Problem been trying to figure out for hours

In summary: Alright I understand that now how would I go about taking the derivative dt/dΘ and then computing what Θ in that equation is = to 0?So you now havet1 + t2 = (750/cosΘ) + (250(1.6sinΘ - 0.8))/(cosΘ)To find the derivative of time with respect to θ, or dt/dθ you need to apply the rules of derivation (sometimes called differentiation rules). Its easier now to call the total time t, it just makes things look clearer. So you havet = (750/cosΘ) + (250(1.6sinΘ - 0.8))/(cos
berkdude022

Homework Statement

In hot pursuit, Agent Logan of the FBI must get directly across a 1200-m-wide river in minimum time. The river's current is 0.80 m/s, he can row a boat at 1.60 m/s, and he can run 3.00 m/s. Describe the path he should take(rowing plus running along the shore) for the minimum crossing time, and determine the minimum time.

Homework Equations

x = vt
x = x + (vi)t - (1/2)gt^2
and other kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have been trying to figure out this problem for quite a long time and this is what I have come up with so far:

https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/71/71483-dee2797c012ada0b48bcaee676e9239a.jpg The last equation should be y = +3t2

My first step is to take equations 2 and 3 and equate them. Next I replace the t1 value from the second equation with the first equation.

when I simplify, I end up getting t2 = (750(1.6sinΘ -.8))/(3cosθ)

from there I am not really sure what to do. If anyone could help me step-by-step I would really appreciate it.

The solution is "Row at an angle of 24.9° upstream and run 104m along the bank in a total time of 862 seconds."

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 396
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to type out all your working, it's hard to tell what exactly it is you've done. include all units.

This is a optimisation problem.
you need an expression for the total time (t1+2) in terms of theta, then find the derivative, set to zero to locate the critical point (s).

berkdude022 said:

Homework Statement

In hot pursuit, Agent Logan of the FBI must get directly across a 1200-m-wide river in minimum time. The river's current is 0.80 m/s, he can row a boat at 1.60 m/s, and he can run 3.00 m/s. Describe the path he should take(rowing plus running along the shore) for the minimum crossing time, and determine the minimum time.

Homework Equations

x = vt
x = x + (vi)t - (1/2)gt^2
and other kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have been trying to figure out this problem for quite a long time and this is what I have come up with so far:

http://imgur.com/OBnwcjN http://imgur.com/OBnwcjN

My first step is to take equations 2 and 3 and equate them. Next I replace the t1 value from the second equation with the first equation.

when I simplify, I end up getting t2 = (750(1.6sinΘ -.8))/(-3cosθ)

from there I am not really sure what to do. If anyone could help me step-by-step I would really appreciate it.

The solution is "Row at an angle of 24.9° upstream and run 104m along the bank in a total time of 862 seconds."

Your attachment will not open for me, so I cannot comment on what you have done. Please type your work, rather than attaching images. (If you read the PF requirements, you will find that to be stated policy, although sometimes it is relaxed.)

Why would I find the derivative and set it equal to zero? I get the t1 + t2 in terms of theta to be:

t1 + t2 = (750/cosΘ) + (250(1.6sinΘ - 0.8))/(cosΘ)

edit: I uploaded my work

Last edited:
berkdude022 said:
Why would I find the derivative and set it equal to zero? I get the t1 + t2 in terms of theta to be:
To find the critical point where the value of theta corresponds to the smallest possible value of t1+2.
You have one equation and two unknowns, t1+2 and theta, it can't be solved with algebra alone.

Have you done an introductory calculus course? You may want to go over your notes on optimisation, or here's some resources:

http://mathinsight.org/minimization_maximization_refresher
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/Optimization.aspx
billy_joule said:
You need to type out all your working, it's hard to tell what exactly it is you've done. include all units.

berkdude022 said:

edit: I uploaded my work
At the optimum angle the change in the total time taken for a small change in angle will be zero, so dt/dΘ = 0

Last edited:
Alright I understand that now how would I go about taking the derivative dt/dΘ and then computing what Θ in that equation is = to 0?

billy_joule said:
Have you done an introductory calculus course?

Based on your posts so far I'm going to guess the answer to this is a no.
In light of that, I think your time would be better spent working on physics problems that don't require calculus.
As you said, you've spent hours on this problem already, it might be best to cut your losses and return to it after a calc course.

...I have taken calc just this problem is kind of difficult in its own way. No need to be condescending my peers couldn't figure this out either who have also taken calc...all I wanted was some help in case I was missing out on a detail or something.

berkdude022 said:
Alright I understand that now how would I go about taking the derivative dt/dΘ and then computing what Θ in that equation is = to 0?

So you now have

To find the derivative of time with respect to θ, or dt/dθ you need to apply the rules of derivation (sometimes called differentiation rules). Its easier now to call the total time t, it just makes things look clearer. So you have

t = (750/cosΘ) + (250(1.6sinΘ - 0.8))/(cosΘ)

To start off you will need to use the sum rule, which put simply is:

If

t = a + b

then

dt/dΘ = da/dΘ + db/dΘ

But then to find da/dΘ which for this specific situation is d(750/cosΘ)/dΘ , you are going to have to apply other rules such as the quotient and the trigonometry differentiation rules.

Similarly to find db/dΘ or d((250(1.6sinΘ - 0.8))/(cosΘ)) /dΘ you need to use the rules of derivation again.Once you have done all this and got an equation for dt/dΘ which you know equals zero for the optimum angle, you can then set this equation to equal zero and solve to find Θ by using trigonometric identities.

Last edited:
Ok when I take the derivative, the equation comes out to be (750sinθ + 200)/(cos^2θ) = 0,

That would mean θ is equal to 15.5° which isn't the correct answer

You need to check back for mistakes.

You have been given that the answer is Θ = 24.9 degrees. Have you tried plugging this into your equation

to see if this gives the answer 862 seconds

Ah ok, the original equation should have been t1 + t2 = (750/cosθ) - (400sinθ - 200)/(cosθ). Then when I took the derivative, I forgot to distribute a sinθ. It should have been (950sinθ - 400)/(cos^2θ) = 0. This gives me θ to equal 24.9 degrees. Finally done with this problem. Thank you so much for your help.

Likes Hind head
You're welcome !

1. How do I determine the relative velocity in a relative motion problem?

To determine the relative velocity, you need to first identify the two objects in motion and their individual velocities. Then, subtract the velocities of the two objects to find the relative velocity. Remember to pay attention to the direction of motion and use vector addition/subtraction if necessary.

2. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed reference point. In other words, relative velocity takes into account the motion of both objects, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of one object.

3. How do I know which frame of reference to use in a relative motion problem?

The frame of reference you choose should be based on the information given in the problem. Look for clues such as a fixed point or object, as this can help determine the appropriate frame of reference. Also, consider which frame of reference will make the problem easier to solve.

4. Is there a specific formula for solving relative motion problems?

Yes, there is a formula for solving relative motion problems: Vab = Va - Vb, where Vab is the relative velocity, Va is the velocity of object A, and Vb is the velocity of object B. However, it is important to understand the concept of relative motion and how to apply the formula correctly.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in solving relative motion problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the direction of motion when subtracting velocities. Another mistake is using the absolute velocity of an object instead of the relative velocity in the formula. It's also important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct frame of reference.