In Response to the War Crimes caught on video Thread

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
75 replies · 9K views
Michael D. Sewell

I really don't think much about this sort of stuff on a day to day basis.
Your posting history here at PF would suggest otherwise.

I find it rather boring, and I find people like you rather boring.
Ad hominems? Really? Ok...

You probably don't work, so you have all day to sit around and get excited about this sort of stuff.
Ex-navy, currently attending university and working with horses. Why do you bring up employment? Have you got something against the unemployed?

I am however, happy to see that you are angry and frustrated.
Actually I don't get angry or frustrated. I find such reactions in others interesting, but I can't empathise.

It's rather pathetic...
Kinda like posting in a thread only to dish out some ad hominems? Right.

Sorry Mick, but please focus on the topic of the thread, and refrain from these little personal attacks. I don't think it is necessary. Do you have anything relevant to add?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding the gas and the Kurds, please read the material supplied. I notice from the responses to date that nobody actually has read the material supplied.
 
Michael D. Sewell said:
Sort of blows your own theory out of the water doesn't it. Do you see why I have gotten bored with this yet? You guys are really just too easy.

You are too quick to assume what I mean. I never said we have reached this point. I said that my hope is that this is where things are going. I have seen quite a change in this respect just over my own lifetime. They called Vietnam the livingroom war and look at the effect. This helped to sour the general population and turn the tide of public perception. I watched much of the Gulf II war on TV. I had my choice of about a dozen cable channels, pretty much 24 hours a day, where this somtimes included middle eastern news agencies like Al Jazeera, in addition to many foreign internet news sources. I am quite sure that this was a first. Of course unlike Vietnam we didn't have many Americans dying. Do you remember the outrage over the Marines drug through the streets in Somalia?

Note also that China is struggling to keep a lid on the internet right now.
 
Adam said:
Regarding the gas and the Kurds, please read the material supplied. I notice from the responses to date that nobody actually has read the material supplied.

It may be that Halabja was an Iranian attack. The use of a cyanide based gas suggests that it was more likely the Iranians, but the Iraqis did use a wide variety of chemical weapons. Concluding that the attack was definitely of Iranian origin is erroneous. Regardless, there are many well documented cases of Iraqis gassing Kurds after the Iran-Iraq war ended, including a videotape of "Chemical Ali" proclaiming that he would kill all of them with chemical weapons. Part of that evidence is, unfortunately, the sale of neutrallizing chemicals by the US to Iraq for the purpose of covering up the attacks.

Njorl
 
You know, when you get right down to it, there's not a nation on Earth that hasn't done or supported such activities at some point.
 
Uhmmm! scuza! Canada? When has Canada gassed anyone?
 
Note the huge lack of native territories in Canada. The advancement of Europeans through Canada was much the same as through what we now call the USA.
 
Not true. The lands allocated to Native Canadians surpasses greatly those allowed Natives in my United States. However, up to 50,000,000 Native Americans have been systematically eliminated since 1492.
 
Okay, Canada never killed any locals when the Euros moved in. Happy now?
 
Wasn't 'Canada' back then, it was the British, and French, explorers...do you Know where Nunavit is? Do you know about Ivvavic? (sp?)

Canadian history is decidedly short on 'major' offensives without having been done in conjunction with other nations, ie WW1, WW2 etc.
 
And a huge number of native Americans died under the hands of Brits and others during the creation of the USA, too. Do we ignore all of those deaths, even though it was precisely that effort which created the USA?
 
Uhmm, not all of them were slaughtered, some died of associative causes, simply diseases, brought over, and the 'Brits' (and the rest) died of the export of the natives, Tabacco! so the universe is balanced, in ends...Oh yes, Canada was about 100 years later...then the US's Formation...
 
Balanced: casinos vs rural slums. But back to topic...
 
We had it here too, of course. I'm not sure of the numbers though. There has been some debate recently about the numbers of locals killed when Euros came to Australia. Many textbooks give a certain example of how aborigines here were treated, and reference one specific incident. But recently a guy showed evidence that the person supposedly responsible was actually over in England at the time, and the actual records of the alleged massacre show only four deaths, as opposed to the hundreds previously claimed. Personally I think one death is too many. But in general, I'm not sure of the actual numbers involved in the colonisation of Australia.
 
Adam said:
We had it here too, of course. I'm not sure of the numbers though. There has been some debate recently about the numbers of locals killed when Euros came to Australia. Many textbooks give a certain example of how aborigines here were treated, and reference one specific incident. But recently a guy showed evidence that the person supposedly responsible was actually over in England at the time, and the actual records of the alleged massacre show only four deaths, as opposed to the hundreds previously claimed. Personally I think one death is too many. But in general, I'm not sure of the actual numbers involved in the colonisation of Australia.

If I were an aborigine living in Australia, I might wonder why you don't invest more time on some of these issues, instead of spending endless hours bashing America. After all, charity begins at home.

You openly admit that you haven't even taken the time to research the "actual numbers" enough to venture a guess as to the exact figure. The aborigines are not "actual numbers" they are human beings, and they deserve to be treated as such.