1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In the case of a contradicted conditional given:

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I have a given in a proof in the form:
    A or B or C ... etc. etc. and if I choose to approach this given in a case by case basis: (assuming one of the A,B,C... one at a time) and if one or more of the assumptions contradicts some other given in the proof does that mean that I can simply ignore that possibility?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For example: if A or B or C

case1: Assume A
    Contradiction
    Therefore B or C

I was under the impression that in order for a case-by-case proof to suceed you need to ensure that all the possible cases come out to be true, however what about this situation:

Assume not A

A or B or C
    case1: A
    However, not A, contradiction

case 2: B
    Goal is true
    case 3: C
    Goal is true

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you talking about a statement like: If A or B or C, then D? To show that statement is true, you need to show A→D, B→D, and C→D.

You can't infer that if A is false, then B or C is true. It's possible for A, B, and C to all be false, right?

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think he might be thinking Given (A or B or C) and not(A) then B or C.

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4
    Kurtz is correct, the given would be of a form
    (A or B or C)
    Though it doesn't have to have three possibilities, it could have as arbitrarily many, it doesn't really matter for the sake of this discussion, just as long as there are 2 or more.

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

You do need to ensure that each case comes out true. That means that ( A or B or C) can be made true in each case. If you are given A is false, you will not have a case where you assume A is true.

Normally if you have n statements, you will have ##2^n## possible combinations of T/F in a truth table. Constraints such as A is false simply reduce the number of potential cases to look at. Now there are only ##2^2## combinations to consider. Only one of which makes the first statement (A or B or C) false.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted