• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

In the circular motion below, what will be the velocity?

• Thread starter HCverma
  • Start date

Homework Statement

In circular motion what will be the change in velocity if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/s? From the left, in the 3rd diagram, if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/ s then what is the change in velocity? t = 5 s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer should be.
Acceleration = Vf - Vi / t = (-2i) - 2i / 5 = -4i / 5 = -0.8 m/s^2 but the answer is 0.8m/s^2.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
I see two illegible drawings (pure black) and something in the middle with some semi-legible chicken scratchings.

I think you should re-state the problem and provide readable drawing, it is not clear to me. Hint: velocity is a vector, giving value like "2 m/s" is not sufficient.

Homework Statement

In circular motion what will be the change in velocity if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/s? From the left, in the 3rd diagram, if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/ s then what is the change in velocity? t = 5 s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer should be.
Acceleration = Vf - Vi / t = (-2i) - 2i / 5 = -4i / 5 = -0.8 m/s^2 but the answer is 0.8m/s^2.
I have edited the image so that you can understand. Please see the image and let me know.

Attachments

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
In circular motion what will be the change in velocity if initial velocity and final velocity is 2 m/s?
the answer should be.
The question asks for a change in velocity but the answer is an acceleration? That's wrong.

(-2i) - 2i
How can both velocity vectors have same unit vector?

According to your drawing the first one, one is along j and another along i.

The pictures are still not clear. What are you using?

The question asks for a change in velocity but the answer is an acceleration? That's wrong.
Yes, my question is that in the picture change in velocity is 4 or -4, As I know the change in velocity is Vf -Vi = (-2i) - 2i = -4i. please see the picture.

Attachments

How can both velocity vectors have same unit vector?

According to your drawing the first one, one is along j and another along i.

The pictures are still not clear. What are you using?
Could you suggest an online editor where I could sharpen my image as much clear as I can?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Yes, my question is that in the picture change in velocity is 4 or -4, As I know the change in velocity is Vf -Vi = (-2i) - 2i = -4i. please see the picture.
I would say that the change in velocity is neither 4 nor -4. It is -4i.

would you please let me know whether you could understand my edited image I provided so that in future I would edit my images to that degree. Is it readable?

Attachments

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
would you please let me know whether you could understand my edited image I provided so that in future I would edit my images to that degree. Is it readable?
It is not pretty, but it is magnified enough that I can read it.

It is not pretty, but it is magnified enough that I can read it.
Ok, Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It is not clear to me whether the use of complex variables to represent the vectors comes from the original problem or has been introduced by the student.
@HCverma , please state the problem as given to you, word for word.

It is not clear to me whether the use of complex variables to represent the vectors comes from the original problem or has been introduced by the student.
@HCverma , please state the problem as given to you, word for word.
Next time I will.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Next time I will.
Why not this time? As I understand it, you still lack an explanation for the book answer.