In what order to take these math classes

• Thread starter Jurrasic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the preferred sequence for high school math in the US is usually Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and then Precalculus. Some schools may also offer a combination of trigonometry and analytic geometry in their precalculus course. However, there is no set order and it may vary depending on individual circumstances and school curriculum. It is best to consult with a guidance counselor or academic advisor for the most appropriate course sequence.
Jurrasic
Would you take geometry first, and then Trig and then Pre-calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jurrasic said:
Would you take geometry first, and then Trig and then Pre-calculus?

What kind of geometry are you referring to? Is it the kind where you prove things about angles, calculate certain measures of objects with straight lines (like triangles, trapezoids, rectangles and so on)?

Its been a while since I did any of that kind of thing and when I think about geometry I think about norms and inner products which is what you do at uni.

I took neither trig nor geometry before pre-cal. I can't really say it's been detrimental to my education.

I never took trig or precalculus at all. My high school (I'm assuming you're talking about high school) math curriculum was

First year: Geometry
Second year: Algebra II
Third year: Calculus I
Fourth year: Calculus II

I didn't have too many problems with that plan, for whatever it's worth. Maybe you'll have a similar experience if you give it a try?

If not, I think the "standard" order for the courses is geometry, trig, and then precalculus. Geometry was one of the worst courses I've ever taken, though, so expect that it could potentially suck.

precalculus will usually includes high school algebra and and geometry..

My Precalculus was a combination of select trig and algebra (after Algebra II). There's no real need to take a full blown trig course and then precalculus, just go straight into precalculus.

My order, here in the US, was Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Precalculus, etc.

I did Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and then Precalculus, but this was because I took Algebra I in 7th grade. I'm told that this is the preferred sequence for those who start Algebra I earlier than 9th grade. (I'm talking about middle school/high school in the US.) In my school Precalculus consisted of College Algebra, Trigonometry, and Analytic Geometry.

But my reply, and the replies of every one else above (with all due respect) may not be helpful to the OP, because they may not apply to his/her situation. The OP has not explained if he/she is in high school, nor has he/she explained what "Precalculus" means in his/her school. The OP should explain his/her situation further before anyone else replies. Even better, the OP should consult the guidance counselor, academic advisor, or the math department chair instead of asking us in the first place.

I did math in this order, though I took precal at both high school and college level. I don't think you really need much geometry for any of my math classes but used a lot of it for some of my engineering classes (namely statics). Geometry involved a bit of trig and precalculus was a combination of algebra and trig.

Algebra I
Geometry
Algebra II
Precalulus
---College---
Calculus (I-III)
Diff EQ (concurrently with Calc III)
---Next semester----
Linear Algebra
Probability and Statistics
Foundations of math (intro to proofs, sets, etc)

eumyang said:
I did Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and then Precalculus, but this was because I took Algebra I in 7th grade. I'm told that this is the preferred sequence for those who start Algebra I earlier than 9th grade. (I'm talking about middle school/high school in the US.) In my school Precalculus consisted of College Algebra, Trigonometry, and Analytic Geometry.

I took Algebra I in 8th grade.

1. What is the recommended order for taking math classes?

The recommended order for taking math classes may vary slightly depending on individual academic goals and requirements, but a general progression is typically as follows:

• Algebra I
  • Geometry
  • Algebra II
  • Pre-Calculus
  • Calculus

2. Can I skip any math classes?

It is not recommended to skip any math classes, as each one builds upon the concepts and skills learned in the previous class. However, if you are confident in your understanding of a particular subject, you may be able to test out of that class or place into a higher level course.

3. Do I need to take statistics or discrete math?

The need for statistics and discrete math classes will depend on your specific academic or career goals. For example, if you are pursuing a degree in a STEM field, you may need to take both classes. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine if these classes are necessary for your program.

4. Should I take classes in a specific order if I want to major in math?

If your goal is to major in math, it is important to start with the foundational classes, such as Algebra I and Geometry, before moving on to more advanced courses. It is also recommended to take classes in a sequential order, as each class will build upon the concepts learned in the previous one.

5. Is it okay to take multiple math classes at the same time?

It is not uncommon for students to take multiple math classes in the same semester. However, it is important to consider your workload, time management skills, and ability to handle the material before enrolling in multiple math classes simultaneously. It may be beneficial to consult with your academic advisor for guidance on balancing your course load.