Suggestion Include country in forum stats?

Femme_physics

Gold Member
Include "country" in forum stats?

Just seems like a nice thing to be able to view someone's country when you read their posts (not having to go the extra effort and click their profile). It might give us an introspection to an international PoV of people about certain subjects since countries vary so much in culture and education.

Just my 2 cents,

Re: Include "country" in forum stats?

Just seems like a nice thing to be able to view someone's country when you read their posts (not having to go the extra effort and click their profile). It might give us an introspection to an international PoV of people about certain subjects since countries vary so much in culture and education.

Just my 2 cents,
A worthy request! However something we try to remain aware of is the level of non discussion noise on the page. Member post bits are already fairly large.

Borek

Mentor

Also, there can be a privacy issues. I have no problems with people knowing I am from Poland, but I know users that prefer to hide their localization.

Last edited:

Femme_physics

Gold Member

A worthy request! However something we try to remain aware of is the level of non discussion noise on the page. Member post bits are already fairly large.
Pshaw, all I got is the fact I'm online and my post count. I tell you what, it's all those admins and moderators that hog all the space with their fancy titles rendered in blue-meet-green photoshopped awesomeness and inexplicable Halloween costume avatars that no on should wear... *shakes head in disappointment* Such a shame...

Pshaw, all I got is the fact I'm online and my post count. I tell you what, it's all those admins and moderators that hog all the space with their fancy titles rendered in blue-meet-green photoshopped awesomeness and inexplicable Halloween costume avatars that no on should wear... *shakes head in disappointment* Such a shame...
you'd look so amazing in gold :)

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i don't think the country matters, but the time-zone would be nice …

it would be particularly useful to know when someone is posting at 3am and really should be told to give up and get some sleep! :smile:

oh, and Dory, if you had had an avatar, you wouldn't have had to change your name! :wink:

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Maybe a little flag next to your name that wouldn't take up much space?

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Maybe a little flag next to your name that wouldn't take up much space?
trouble with that on other forums is that some people choose a flag because they think it's pretty! :rolleyes:

Also, there can be a privacy issues. I have no problems with people knowing I am from Poland, but I know users that prefer to hide their localization.
Regarding this concern, there is no reason to make it mandatory, and very little way to enforce truthfulness in any case.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member

I've been a member here for a long time and nationality of another member has never been a concern. What's important is the Science.

Femme_physics

Gold Member

I agree it's not of vital importance, I just think it would be an interesting to know and most forums include it. It may add a bit more introspection, interaction and social understanding between members.

oh, and Dory, if you had had an avatar, you wouldn't have had to change your name!
That's true!!! :(

you'd look so amazing in gold :)
*grins...bites lower lip....thinks....bolts to the store!*

I've been a member here for a long time and nationality of another member has never been a concern. What's important is the Science.
It is sometimes relevant in the politics forum.

Borek

Mentor

jtbell

Mentor

It is often relevant in the Academic Guidance forum.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member

Nothing is relevant in the politics forum. :devil:

There's a privacy issue. I'm concerned about what would happen if it got out that I am a US citizen.

turbo

Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:

There's a privacy issue. I'm concerned about what would happen if it got out that I am a US citizen.
You'd find your long lost cousin Irene Roberta Snyder knocking at your door. You'd better turn the lights off quick!

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I support this idea, but there should be a little option that says "hide nationality" or something. That fixes the privacy issue right up, wouldn't you say?

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Users don't have to fill it in :)