Include country in forum stats?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
In summary: it's just an option.I support this idea, but there should be a little option that says "hide nationality" or something. That fixes the privacy issue right up, wouldn't you say?Yes, that would be a good idea.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Include "country" in forum stats?

Just seems like a nice thing to be able to view someone's country when you read their posts (not having to go the extra effort and click their profile). It might give us an introspection to an international PoV of people about certain subjects since countries vary so much in culture and education.

Just my 2 cents,

Physics news on Phys.org

Femme_physics said:
Just seems like a nice thing to be able to view someone's country when you read their posts (not having to go the extra effort and click their profile). It might give us an introspection to an international PoV of people about certain subjects since countries vary so much in culture and education.

Just my 2 cents,

A worthy request! However something we try to remain aware of is the level of non discussion noise on the page. Member post bits are already fairly large.

Also, there can be a privacy issues. I have no problems with people knowing I am from Poland, but I know users that prefer to hide their localization.

Last edited:

Greg Bernhardt said:
A worthy request! However something we try to remain aware of is the level of non discussion noise on the page. Member post bits are already fairly large.

Pshaw, all I got is the fact I'm online and my post count. I tell you what, it's all those admins and moderators that hog all the space with their fancy titles rendered in blue-meet-green photoshopped awesomeness and inexplicable Halloween costume avatars that no on should wear... *shakes head in disappointment* Such a shame...

Femme_physics said:
Pshaw, all I got is the fact I'm online and my post count. I tell you what, it's all those admins and moderators that hog all the space with their fancy titles rendered in blue-meet-green photoshopped awesomeness and inexplicable Halloween costume avatars that no on should wear... *shakes head in disappointment* Such a shame...

you'd look so amazing in gold :)

i don't think the country matters, but the time-zone would be nice …

it would be particularly useful to know when someone is posting at 3am and really should be told to give up and get some sleep! :smile:

oh, and Dory, if you had had an avatar, you wouldn't have had to change your name! :wink:

Maybe a little flag next to your name that wouldn't take up much space?

cristo said:
Maybe a little flag next to your name that wouldn't take up much space?

trouble with that on other forums is that some people choose a flag because they think it's pretty! :rolleyes:

Borek said:
Also, there can be a privacy issues. I have no problems with people knowing I am from Poland, but I know users that prefer to hide their localization.

Regarding this concern, there is no reason to make it mandatory, and very little way to enforce truthfulness in any case.

I've been a member here for a long time and nationality of another member has never been a concern. What's important is the Science.

I agree it's not of vital importance, I just think it would be an interesting to know and most forums include it. It may add a bit more introspection, interaction and social understanding between members.

oh, and Dory, if you had had an avatar, you wouldn't have had to change your name!

That's true! :(

you'd look so amazing in gold :)

*grins...bites lower lip...thinks...bolts to the store!*

dlgoff said:
I've been a member here for a long time and nationality of another member has never been a concern. What's important is the Science.

It is sometimes relevant in the politics forum.

Femme_physics said:
*grins...bites lower lip...thinks...bolts to the store!*

Think harder o:)

NeoDevin said:

It is often relevant in the Academic Guidance forum.

NeoDevin said:

jtbell said:
It is often relevant in the Academic Guidance forum.

Okay. I wasn't considering those since I hardly go there.

NeoDevin said:

Nothing is relevant in the politics forum. :devil:

There's a privacy issue. I'm concerned about what would happen if it got out that I am a US citizen.

Jimmy Snyder said:
There's a privacy issue. I'm concerned about what would happen if it got out that I am a US citizen.
Even worse, what if it got out that I'm a Maineiac?

http://www.101arw.ang.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/hires/AFG-090209-006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Snyder said:

You'd find your long lost cousin Irene Roberta Snyder knocking at your door. You'd better turn the lights off quick!

I support this idea, but there should be a little option that says "hide nationality" or something. That fixes the privacy issue right up, wouldn't you say?

Users don't have to fill it in :)

1. Why is it important to include country in forum stats?

Including country in forum stats is important because it provides valuable insights into the demographics and behaviors of forum users. It can help identify trends and patterns specific to certain regions, which can be useful for targeting and tailoring forum content and strategies.

2. How can including country in forum stats benefit forum moderators?

Including country in forum stats can benefit forum moderators by giving them a better understanding of their user base. This can help moderators make informed decisions about forum rules and policies, as well as address issues that may be specific to certain countries or regions.

3. Is it necessary to include every country in forum stats?

It is not necessary to include every country in forum stats, especially if the forum has a specific target audience. However, it is recommended to include a diverse range of countries to get a more comprehensive understanding of forum demographics.

4. How can including country in forum stats impact the forum's success?

Including country in forum stats can impact the forum's success by providing valuable information about the forum's reach and popularity in different regions. It can also help identify potential areas for growth and improvement.

5. Are there any potential challenges or limitations to including country in forum stats?

One potential challenge of including country in forum stats is ensuring accurate data collection and representation. Users may not always provide accurate location information, and some countries may have lower internet access or participation rates. Additionally, cultural and language barriers may also affect the reliability and interpretation of forum stats by country.