Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclusions of submflds. and diffeomorphisms.

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, everyone:

I am a little confused about the issue of the inclusion map on submanifolds.

AFAIK, if S is a submanifold of M , then if we give S the weak (or initial) topology

of the inclusion, then the inclusion map is a homeomorphism.(his is the way I understand,

of making the inclusion map of a subspace into a space, into a homeomorphism. If

S is open in M, with this initial topology, then I think inclusion is also a diffeomorphism.)

Question: under what conditions on S is the inclusion map a diffeomorphism?.

I think that if S is closed in the topology of M, or at least not open in M , and

given the weak topology, then the inclusion may not be a diffeomorphism.

Is this correct?.

And when is a (topological) subspace S of M a submanifold, other than when S

is open in M, i.e., S is open as a subset of M?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2
    You have to distinguish between immersed and embedded submanifolds (see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submanifold" [Broken]). For immersed submanifolds the inclusion is an injective immersion, but not necessarily a homeomorphism onto its image (i.e. an embedding). If it is an embedding then the submanifold is an emdedded submanifold and the inclusion is also a diffeomorphism onto its image, this is not completely trivial and requires the implicit function theorem.

If one can find charts of M such that S looks locally like R^k in R^n.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook