Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Increased efficiency Antimatter production

1. Mar 7, 2017 #1
    Hi

Does anyone know of any papers about Increased efficiency Antimatter production, as I am interested in this area.

Apologies if it's in the wrong area. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2017 #2
  4. Mar 7, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Antiprotons, neutral antihydrogen, or more exotic antimatter? The paper @rootone linked is about adding a positron to antiprotons. Here is a follow-up discussion, freely accessible.

For antiproton production, shooting high-energetic protons at a target and trying to capture as many antiprotons as possible is the most efficient way we have available. Maybe some results from MICE, a muon cooling experiment, can also be applied to antiprotons.

5. Mar 7, 2017 #4
    It would be interesting to know how the antiprotons get contained at the LHC until they need to be used.

6. Mar 7, 2017 #5
    Reading on this process, I have learned that 2 high-energy protons are converted into 3 protons and an antiproton. Does the extra proton and antiproton come from the "high energy" being converted into mass?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  7. Mar 7, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

The LHC does not use antiprotons.

There are other CERN accelerators which capture and slow them down for research.
    Synchrotons can store protons and antiprotons in the same way, you just have to reverse the magnetic fields.
    Yes.

8. Mar 7, 2017 #7
    Well, it's not a bad idea if it could be possible.

9. Mar 7, 2017 #8
    I say let's call up our friends in Geneva and tell 'em!

10. Mar 7, 2017 #9

mfb

2016 Award

It wouldn't help much at the LHC energies, and it would lead to a much lower luminosity as you can't get as many antiprotons as you can get protons.

Tevatron and SPS, which ran at a much lower energy, used proton-antiproton collisions.

11. Mar 7, 2017 #10
    Why not though?, I guess that is work in progress

12. Mar 7, 2017 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's a terrible idea. Apart from the problem that the beam design won't work, switching to antiprotons gets you less beam, and therefore fewer interesting events. There is a reason why this was considered for the LHC - and rejected.

13. Mar 7, 2017 #12
    OK fair enough, no chance of an antimatter destroyer of the robot controllers then,
    /jk. /sorry

14. Mar 8, 2017 #13

mfb

2016 Award

You get protons out of a hydrogen bottle.
    We don't have an antihydrogen bottle.

It was studied of course, but the advantage per collision (some events have a higher probability to occur) would be small compared to the huge disadvantage of a lower collision rate.

15. Mar 8, 2017 #14
    OK got it, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted