Increasing and decreasing interval of this function |e^x+e^{-x}|

In summary: The supremum of the function is then f(0)=2.In summary, the function \(|e^x+e^{-x}|\) is decreasing on \((-\infty,0)\), increasing on \((0,\infty)\), and has a supremum of 2 at \(x=0\). This information can be used to determine the increasing and decreasing intervals of the even function \(|e^x+e^{-x}|\) in the given sequence.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
Hello,

I want to know what is the incresing and decreasing interval of this even function $|e^x+e^{-x}|?$

If any member knows the correct answer, may reply to this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since \(0<e^{x}+e^{-x}\) for all real \(x\), we may simply write:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=e^{x}+e^{-x}\)

You've posted this question in our Pre-Calculus forum, so I am assuming you wish not to utilize differential calculus in the analysis of this function's behavior. Is this correct?

MarkFL said:
Since \(0<e^{x}+e^{-x}\) for all real \(x\), we may simply write:

You've posted this question in our Pre-Calculus forum, so I am assuming you wish not to utilize differential calculus in the analysis of this function's behavior. Is this correct?
Hello,
I want to determine whether this sequence $M_n^{(1)}=\frac{e^{\theta*S_n}}{(\cosh{\theta})^n} \tag{1}$ is martingale.

For checking the integrability of (1), I want to know on which interval $|e^x+e^{-x}|$ is increasing and decreasing. What is the supremum of this even function? One math expert informed me online that it is increasing on $(-\infty,0)$and decreasing on $(0, \infty)$and its supremum is $2^{-n}$ at $x or \theta=0$ How?:confused:

If you think this question doesn't belong to "Precalculus" forum, You may move it to "Advanced probability and statictics" or any other forum, you may deem fit :)

I have moved the thread as per your suggestion.

With regards to your original question, let's go back to:

We find:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=e^x-e^{-x}\)

Equating this to zero, there results:

\(\displaystyle e^{2x}=1\)

Which implies:

\(\displaystyle x=0\)

So, we know the function has 1 turning point, at \((0,2)\). We observe that:

\(\displaystyle f''(x)=f(x)\)

And:

\(\displaystyle f''(0)=f(0)=2>0\)

This tells us the function is concave up at the turning point, which thus implies this turning point is a minimum, and is in fact the global minimum. Hence the function is decreasing on:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,0)\)

And increasing on:

\(\displaystyle (0,\infty)\)

1. What does it mean to increase or decrease the interval of a function?

Increasing or decreasing the interval of a function refers to changing the range of values for the independent variable (usually denoted as x) over which the function is evaluated. This can affect the shape and behavior of the function, as well as the values of the dependent variable (usually denoted as y).

2. How do I determine the increasing and decreasing intervals of a function?

To determine the increasing and decreasing intervals of a function, you need to analyze the behavior of the function over its domain. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function and identifying the points where the derivative is positive (increasing) or negative (decreasing). You can also graph the function and visually identify the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing.

3. What is the significance of the function |e^x+e^{-x}| in mathematics?

The function |e^x+e^{-x}| is significant in mathematics because it is a combination of two important exponential functions, e^x and e^{-x}. It is also a common example used to illustrate the concepts of absolute value and inverse functions.

4. How does the value of x affect the increasing and decreasing intervals of |e^x+e^{-x}|?

The value of x can greatly affect the increasing and decreasing intervals of |e^x+e^{-x}|. For example, if x is a large positive number, the function will increase rapidly, resulting in a larger increasing interval. On the other hand, if x is a large negative number, the function will decrease rapidly, resulting in a larger decreasing interval.

5. Can the increasing and decreasing intervals of |e^x+e^{-x}| be changed by manipulating the function?

Yes, the increasing and decreasing intervals of |e^x+e^{-x}| can be changed by manipulating the function. For example, adding a constant to the function will shift the graph up or down, which can change the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing. Multiplying the function by a constant will also change the intervals, as it will affect the slope of the graph.