Incredible displays of animal abilities

• Thread starter dipole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: Interesting!In summary, this conversation is about how some animals possess abilities that surpass those of humans. Some animals have better senses than humans, while others can do things that seem to defy logic or physics.
dipole
As human beings, it's easy to look at other animals and imagine they are inferior to us in most ways. Sure, most animals are faster than us, but they run on four legs and we run on two. And most animals have far better hearing and smell, but we tend to have better eyesight. We don't have sharp claws, warm fur, or large teeth, but we have incredibly dexterous hands which can build any tool we need. These sort of physical attributes are not what I'm talking about.

What I mean is that when you look at how wide our range of cognitive and physical abilities are - that is, the range of acquired skills we are capable of, it can sometimes feel like animals are just simply inferior. Humans can perform complicated cognitive tasks like poetry, humor and mathematics, and we can still perform incredible physical feats like juggling, acrobatics, or rock climbing.

But sometimes there are really amazing examples of animals performing cognitive or physical abilities that seem to surpass those of human beings. For example, look how effortlessly this otter "juggles" a rock.

And look how effortlessly this chimpanzee plays a memory game.

The otter's sense of proprioception, and the chimpanzees short-term memory seem to actually greatly surpass that of most humans. So I wonder, what other examples exist out there? Please post some if you know of any.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Tune into the Wimby final tomorrow and watch Roger Federer at work.

That's an incredible display of ability.

Likewise, watch any world class musician - pick your favorite - rock guitar, cello, concert piano.

Animals are cool and amazing and all, but humans are the pinnacle of incredible in the created world.

Likes cnh1995
dipole said:
... we tend to have better eyesight.
There are a LOT of animals that would disagree w/ that, particularly raptors who would find our visual acuity laughable.

Dr. Courtney said:
Tune into the Wimby final tomorrow and watch Roger Federer at work.

That's an incredible display of ability.

Likewise, watch any world class musician - pick your favorite - rock guitar, cello, concert piano.

Animals are cool and amazing and all, but humans are the pinnacle of incredible in the created world.

True, but in a match of juggling rocks, or memory games, we might find ourselves outmatched by our animal cousins. I think some animals possesses specific cognitive abilities that humans simply can't match, despite all the other abilities we do have.

dipole said:
True, but in a match of juggling rocks, or memory games, we might find ourselves outmatched by our animal cousins. I think some animals possesses specific cognitive abilities that humans simply can't match, despite all the other abilities we do have.

Sure, lots of animal capabilities are outstanding: magnetoreception and scent recognition come to mind.

And let's not forget turning grass into steak and scraps into bacon.

Likes cnh1995
Mmmm...bacon.

And if God hadn't intended us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Last edited:
Likes Dr. Courtney
Dr. Courtney said:
Sure, lots of animal capabilities are outstanding: magnetoreception and scent recognition come to mind.

And let's not forget turning grass into steak and scraps into bacon.

You didn't read the original post. Sense of smell or magnetoreception are not learned abilities. The otter and chimpanzee examples are so impressive because those animals had to acquire those abilities, and they are not linked to some physical attribute. There's no physical reason a human can't juggle rocks like that or beat the chimp in a memory game, but our brains just inferior when it comes to those particular skills.

dipole said:
You didn't read the original post. Sense of smell or magnetoreception are not learned abilities.

Read the post. Rejected the boundaries.

Recognizing smells IS a learned ability. Deer naturally fear humans and their smell. I can (and have) taught them not to fear my smell by hanging my clothes in my deer stand for months before opening day of deer season. Trout learn to find their way back to their streams of origin by recognizing the unique chemical signature.

Magnetoreception in isolation is not learned, but using it to navigate most likely is.

Likes BillTre
I've seen a tv documentation about an experiment, in which a person in a yellow oilskin riled a crow repeatedly so the crow learned "yellow oilskin = danger". Then when the crow had offspring and they returned to the scene in that dress, the young bird already knew it means danger and reacted correspondingly, although it had never seen it before. So how did the crow teach this?

In Paris there is a park where crows only open up bags from McDonald's. They don't bother any others.
However, they didn't reveal, if this is because of tasty food or promising more leftovers.

I'm not sure I would accept "Cracked" as an unimpeachable source.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not sure I would accept "Cracked" as an unimpeachable source.

I already saw that post coming, just take it with a grain of salt as curiosity I guess?

What are some examples of incredible displays of animal abilities?

Some examples of incredible displays of animal abilities include the ability of dolphins to use echolocation to navigate and find food, the strength and agility of cheetahs as they chase down prey, and the intelligence and problem-solving skills of octopuses.

How do animals develop these incredible abilities?

Animals develop these incredible abilities through a combination of genetics and environmental factors. Some abilities, such as echolocation in dolphins, are innate and passed down genetically. Others, such as the hunting skills of cheetahs, are learned through observation and practice.

Do all animals have incredible abilities?

While all animals have unique abilities and adaptations that allow them to survive and thrive in their environments, not all animals have what we would consider "incredible" abilities. Some animals may have more subtle abilities that are still impressive, but may not be as noticeable to humans.

Can animals learn new abilities?

Yes, animals have the ability to learn and adapt to new situations and challenges. This is especially true for highly intelligent animals such as primates, dolphins, and birds. Through training and exposure to new experiences, these animals can learn new abilities and behaviors.

How do incredible animal abilities benefit humans?

Incredible animal abilities can benefit humans in a variety of ways. For example, the echolocation abilities of dolphins have been studied and used to develop new technologies for ocean navigation. The strength and agility of certain animals, such as horses and dogs, have also been harnessed for tasks such as transportation and hunting. Additionally, studying animal abilities can lead to new insights and advancements in science and technology.