1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced emf in coil with decreasing current

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    A single-turn circular loop of radius R = 0.197 m is coaxial with a long 1740 turn solenoid of radius 0.0410 m and length 0.890 m, as seen in the figure below. (picture in URL)

https://s1.lite.msu.edu/enc/53/3b1b...bbf37ae59602796c87a446f0a53c5801a82918f44.gif

The variable resistor is changed so that the solenoid current decreases linearly from 6.81 A to 1.59 A in 0.225 s. Calculate the induced emf in the circular loop. (The field just outside the solenoid is small enough to be negligible.)

phi(flux)= ∫B*dA
    ε= dphi/dt
    A(circle)=∏r^2
    B= N*mu_0_*I/L (solenoid)

I'm having troubles finding the flux through the loop. I tried taking the integral from .0410 to .197 m but I don't think that is right. I know once I get my flux integral i can take the flux at both currents, find the difference between the two, and divide by .225 s to find the induced emf. I just don't know what to integrate over.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Recall that for a long (ideal) solenoid:
    1. B is essentially uniform inside the solenoid
    2. B is very weak outside the solenoid so that, to a good approximation, you can assume B = 0 outside the solenoid.

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    So would i only integrate from 0 to .0410 then?

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted