Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Orientation on Mfld. Boundary.

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

O.K, please let me see if I got it right:

Let M be an orientable m-manifold with non-empty boundary B.

Let p be a point in B , and let {del/delX^1,...,del/delX^(m-1) }_p

be a basis for T_pB for every p in a boundary component .

Let N be a unit normal field on B . Now, this is the induced orientation (is it?):

We consider the collection {N_p, del/delX^1,...,delX^(m-1)}_p

(with N_p normal to M at p.)

AS IF p were a point in M, and not in the boundary B, (e.g., we can

smooth out the boundary so that it disappears, or we can cap

a disk or something, so that one boundary component disappears).

Then, if this basis {N_p, del/delX^1,...,delX^(m-1)}_p for p in M

of T_pM is oriented in agreement with the given orientation of M, (Jacobian of

chart overlap is positive, etc. ) then the boundary is positively oriented,

otherwise it is negatively oriented.

Is this it?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then, if this basis {N_p, del/delX^1,...,delX^(m-1)}_p for p in M

of T_pM is oriented in agreement with the given orientation of M, (Jacobian of

chart overlap is positive, etc. ) then the boundary is positively oriented,

I just realized we just need the change-of-basis matrix here must have

positive determinant.

otherwise it is negatively oriented.

Is this it?
    Thanks.[/QUOTE]

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, maybe you meant something else, but if N_p is normal to M, then N_p is not an element of T_pM (being normal to it!) and so it does not make sense to talk about {N_p, del/delX^1,...,delX^(m-1)} being a basis of T_pM.

Instead, N_p is the unit vector that point outward of M. Meaning that given a (boundary) chart around p mapping a nbhd of p to [tex]\mathbb{R}^{m-1}\times \mathbb{R}_+[/tex], where R_+ denotes the closed half real line {x:x>=0}, N_p is [itex]-\partial/\partial x ^m[/itex].

But modulo that change in the meaning of N_p, what you've written sounds good to me.

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4
    N_p is not normal to M, but to the boundary of M. The tangent space of M can be defined in boundary points exactly as for interior points. There are three types of vectors in TpM, for a boundary point p:

- vectors tangent to the boundary of M, these form a codimension 1 subvectorspace
    - outward pointing vectors
    - inward pointing vectors

There are unfortunately several different conventions for the induced orientation. I think the most common one (also the one mentioned by WWGD) is the "outward first" convention, which is also compatible with Stoke's theorem. It goes as follows:

Let [tex]p\in\partial M[/tex], [tex]w\in T_pM[/tex] be an outward-pointing vector. Then [tex](v_1,\ldots,v_{n-1})[/tex] is a positively oriented basis of [tex]T_p\partial M[/tex] iff [tex](w,v_1,\ldots,v_{n-1})[/tex] is a positively oriented basis of [tex]T_p M[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook