Inelastic Collision and average force between 2 trains

In summary, the question involves two trains, A and B, with masses of 15000kg and 12000kg respectively, travelling towards each other on a horizontal track. After coupling together, the speed of both trains is 0.5 m/s to the right. The average force between the trains during coupling is determined to be 18750 N to the left.
Sam Fred
I solved the question , but i need to check it with you guys ... I believe there is something wrong with part b .

Homework Statement

The 15000kg train A is running at 1.5 m/s on the horizontal tack (to the right) when it encounters a 12000kg train B running at 0.75m/s toward it (to the left) . If the trains meet and
couple together, determine (a) the speed of both cars just after the couple, and (b) the
average force between them if the coupling takes place in 0.8sec.

Homework Equations

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)v3
momentum 1 + F(avg)t = momentum 2

The Attempt at a Solution

a-
v3 = (m1v1 + m2v2)/m1+m2
v3 = 0.5 m/s to the right

b-
momentum 1 + F (avg) t = momentum 2
(m1+m2)v3 + F(avg) 0.8 = 0
F(avg) = -16875 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Sam Fred said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a-
v3 = (m1v1 + m2v2)/m1+m2
v3 = 0.5 m/s to the right
Good.

b-
momentum 1 + F (avg) t = momentum 2
(m1+m2)v3 + F(avg) 0.8 = 0
F(avg) = -16875 N
To find the average force, just look at one of the cars. It doesn't matter which one, since the force on either will be the same magnitude.

Ok...
then :
-m2v2 + F(avg) t = (m1+m2) v3
F(avg) = 28125 N

Sam Fred said:
Ok...
then :
-m2v2 + F(avg) t = (m1+m2) v3
F(avg) = 28125 N
Still not right. Stick to a single mass, all the way through. How does the velocity, and thus the momentum, of mass m2 change?

Aha ... I guess I was confused ...
for train a which is going to the right
m1v1 - F(avg from b) t = m2v3
F(avg from b) = (m1v1 - m2v3 ) / t
F(avg from b) = 18750 N to the left

Sam Fred said:
Aha ... I guess I was confused ...
for train a which is going to the right
m1v1 - F(avg from b) t = m2v3
F(avg from b) = (m1v1 - m2v3 ) / t
I believe you have a typo. The only mass that should appear is m1.

F(avg from b) = 18750 N to the left
Good!

Oh yes ... it was a typo
Thanks very much for helping me through the problem

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that after the collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is less than the initial kinetic energy. Inelastic collisions usually involve objects sticking together or deforming upon impact.

2. How is the average force between 2 trains calculated in an inelastic collision?

The average force between 2 trains in an inelastic collision can be calculated using the formula F = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (t1 + t2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the trains, v1 and v2 are their velocities before the collision, and t1 and t2 are the times it takes for the trains to come to a complete stop after the collision.

3. Can the average force between 2 trains in an inelastic collision be negative?

No, the average force between 2 trains in an inelastic collision cannot be negative. This is because force is a vector quantity and, by definition, is always positive. It is possible for the average force to be zero if the trains come to a complete stop after the collision.

4. How does the average force between 2 trains in an inelastic collision differ from that of an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and the objects involved bounce off each other without any deformation. This means that the average force between 2 trains in an elastic collision will be greater than that of an inelastic collision, where some of the kinetic energy is lost to deformation or sticking together.

5. Can the average force between 2 trains in an inelastic collision be greater than the force of impact?

Yes, the average force between 2 trains in an inelastic collision can be greater than the force of impact. This is because the force of impact is only present for a very short amount of time, whereas the average force is calculated over the entire duration of the collision. This means that the average force takes into account the decrease in force as the trains come to a stop.