Inelastic Collision with Spring

In summary, the inelastic equation formula is: (m1)(v1) + (m2)(v2) = (m1 + m2)(vf) where vf is the new velocity and then I would just plug in vf into: KE = 1/2(m)(v)^2 as v and get the kinetic energy. My problem is I don't know what to do with the spring. So you know that (m1)(v1) + (m2)(v2) = (m1 + m2)(vf) from conservation of momentum. You know m1,m2,v1 and v2 right? The question basically wants you to find the value
edud8

Homework Statement

A .2kg mass traveling on a frictionless horizontal surface at a speed of 3 m/s. It hits a 1.3 kg mass at rest that is connected to a massless spring with a a spring constant of 100 Newtons per meter. The other end of the spring is fixed. Calculate the linear momentum and kinetic energy of the combined masses immediately after the impact.

Homework Equations

I can calculate the combined momentum of the masses but I don't know what to do with the spring.

The Attempt at a Solution

The inelastic equation formula is
(m1)(v1) + (m2)(v2) = (m1 + m2)(vf) where vf is the new velocity and then I would just plug in vf into:
KE = 1/2(m)(v)^2
as v and get the kinetic energy. My problem is I don't know what to do with the spring.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you know that (m1)(v1) + (m2)(v2) = (m1 + m2)(vf) from conservation of momentum.

You know m1,m2,v1 and v2 right? The question basically wants you to find the value of (m1+m2)(vf)

I get that but don't I have to do something with the spring?

Not really. The spring simply transfer the energy. Think of it as a mediator.

KE of car 1 collide with car 2 ==> KE becomes PE in the spring ==> Spring Potential Energy pushes the on car 2 and becomes potential energy

(assuming all energy is conserve and there is no heat loss anywhere)

So spring is just there.Now, the fun question is: calculate the kinetic energy when the spring is being compress. Now then, you need to account for it, since the spring is potential rather than kinetic energy

So do i just set the kinetic energy of the masses equal to the potential energy of the spring like so:
(1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)(k)(x)^2 ==> .5(1.5)(.4)^2 = .5(100)(x)^2
==> .12J = 50x^2 so .0024 = x^2 ==> and Squareroot(.0024) = .0489m = x

Then I plugged it in F = kx and got 4.89N which is the force of the spring.
Now I'm stuck, a little help on how this helps me solve for the linear momentum or kinetic energy of the masses after impact.

1. What is an inelastic collision with a spring?

An inelastic collision with a spring is a type of collision between two objects, where one or both of the objects are attached to a spring. During the collision, the objects lose some of their kinetic energy and the spring is compressed or stretched, resulting in a change in their velocities and/or positions.

2. How is the energy conserved in an inelastic collision with a spring?

In an inelastic collision with a spring, the total energy of the system is conserved. However, some of the kinetic energy is converted into potential energy of the spring, and the objects may also experience a change in their kinetic energies due to the elastic properties of the spring.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the spring force in an inelastic collision?

The magnitude of the spring force in an inelastic collision is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the distance it is compressed or stretched, and the mass and velocity of the objects involved. A stiffer spring will exert a greater force, while a larger compression or stretch distance will result in a larger change in potential energy and thus a greater force.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of an inelastic collision with a spring?

The coefficient of restitution, which measures the elasticity of a collision, affects the outcome of an inelastic collision with a spring by determining the amount of kinetic energy that is lost during the collision. A higher coefficient of restitution means a more elastic collision, resulting in less energy being transferred to the spring and a smaller change in velocities and positions of the objects.

5. What are some real-life applications of inelastic collisions with springs?

Inelastic collisions with springs can be seen in various everyday scenarios, such as car accidents where the bumpers compress and absorb some of the kinetic energy, or during sports when a ball bounces off of a surface and experiences a change in velocity due to the elasticity of the surface. These collisions are also important in engineering, as they are used in shock absorbers, springs in machinery, and other designs that require controlled energy absorption and transfer.