Inelastic Collisions - conceptual trouble

In summary: And this decrease in velocity is due to the increase in internal energy of the system as a whole, according to the conservation of energy.
radiogaga35
Hi there :biggrin:

I'm having a bit of a conceptual difficulty regarding the equations for inelastic collisions. Suppose a body of mass M1, moving at initial velocity V1, collides and sticks to another body, mass M2, moving at some other initial velocity V2. They then move together with a final velocity of V3.

Now I understand that in this situation, kinetic energy is not conserved, though momentum (of the two-particle system) is. I also know that the "missing" kinetic energy must have gone into the production of sound waves, or thermal energy, changes of potential energy (if the bodies deform?) etc. If only because this is what I am taught.

If we suppose that V3 is the only unknown in the above problem, then I can quite easily calculate the magnitude of V3 from the other data (suppose that the collision is linear, to simplify things). Then it is also easy to calculate the final kinetic energy of the two-body system. I've done these problems countless times so no difficulty in the calculatiions.

But what I can't understand: how is it that these simple conservation-of-linear-momentum equations "know" that kinetic energy is not conserved? Surely there would be a hypothetical magnitude for V3 such that kinetic energy would (hypothetically) be conserved -- how do these equations correctly produce a a V3 such that kinetic energy is NOT conserved? In fact, working symbolically with the conservation of momentum equations, I can sort of see why the system's kinetic energy would be decreased, in such a collision. Still, conceptually, I am not happy about how this all gets built into these equations. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I've looked at the math there and I've done all those calculations before. Conceptually, this is how I see it: linear momentum must be conserved; thus one uses the equations for conservation of linear momentum to express final velocity i.t.o masses and initial velocities. The easily appreciated consequence is that kinetic energy will be lost.

Why, though, does momentum conservation get precedence over kinetic energy conservation? Is it by virtue of the definition of an inelastic collision, that the system's internal energy should change? (Now that I think about it...that actually seems glaringly obvious!)

Still, definitions aside, why is not possible (even in some idealised situation?) to have a sticking-collision whilst conserving kinetic energy?

What else can you say when you measure the the final kinetic energy and find it to be less than the initial in all such cases?

Why, though, does momentum conservation get precedence over kinetic energy conservation?
The Lagrangian is invariant under translations, momentum is a conserved quantity of the symmetry group of translations. Apart that I don't know 'why'.

@neutrino:

If the system (of the two particles) is isolated, and the kinetic energy decreases, then the internal energy of the particles must increase. Since total energy is conserved in the isolated system.

If the final kinetic energy is less than the initial kinetic energy, then the mag. of the final velocity must be less than the mag. of the larger of the two initial velocities (I think...tho I'd better check that algebraically...).
Basically m1(v1)^2 + m2(v2)^2 > m1(v3)^2 + m2(v3)^2...

AHA, so I think I see where this is going...so qualitatively then, because the bodies stick together, at least one component of a body's velocity must decrease?

Last edited:

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision is not the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How does an inelastic collision differ from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision is conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other without losing any kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocity in an inelastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocity in an inelastic collision is vf = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where vf is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and v1 and v2 are the initial velocities of the objects.

4. Can an inelastic collision still conserve momentum?

Yes, an inelastic collision can still conserve momentum. Momentum is conserved as long as the total mass and velocity of the system remains constant. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, but the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision remains the same.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of inelastic collisions include a car crash, a ball hitting the ground and losing some of its kinetic energy as heat and sound, or two objects colliding and sticking together. In all of these scenarios, some kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, resulting in an inelastic collision.