Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality b*(b-4)<-4a is there a way to find the restrictions

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    Mathematica or Maple

If I have an inequality b*(b-4)<-4a is there a way to find the restrictions on a and b for which inequality holds?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Urgent

This can be done without Mathematica or Maple.

b(b - 4) < -4a <==> (-1/4)b(b - 4) > a

This is a quadratic inequalilty. To find the solution set, graph a = (-1/4)(b^2 - 4b). The graph is a parabola that opens down. The graph of the parabola isn't in the solution set, but one side or another (i.e., either the inside or outside) of the parabola represents the solution set.

To determine which side is the solution set, simply pick any point that is not on the graph of the parabola. If the original inequality is a true statement for that point, the solution set is all of the points on that side of the parabola. If the original inequality is not a true statement for that point, the solution set is all of the points on the other side.

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3

What if I had to satisfy another inequality?

b^2/a^2-2*b/a+2*b+1-2*a+a^2 > 0, a-b < 0

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. Mar 2, 2010 #4

Wait, is this ever possible?

b < a-a^2, a+a^2 < b ?

6. Mar 2, 2010 #5

Nevermind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook