Find the range of values of a + b

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
I understand now.In summary, the range of values of ##a+b## when ##y=-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ax+b## is tangent to the x-axis is ##a+b \leq \frac{1}{8}##. This can be found by setting the derivative of the function to 0 and finding the corresponding value of ##b##, which is ##-2a^2##. Then, using the fact that ##y## must also be less than or equal to 0, we can express ##a+b## as a function of ##a## and find its minimum or maximum value, which corresponds to the upper and lower bounds of the range for ##a
songoku
Homework Statement
Given that ##y=-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ax+b##, find the range of values of ##a+b## if ##y## is tangent to x-axis
Relevant Equations
Quadratic

Discriminant

Derivative
The answer is ##a+b \leq \frac{1}{8}## but I don't know how to get it.

Tangent to the x-axis means the vertex is at the x-axis so the y coordinate of the vertex = 0

$$y=-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ax+b$$
$$y'=0$$
$$-\frac{1}{4}x+a=0$$
$$x=4a \rightarrow y=2a^2+b$$

So
$$2a^2+b=0$$
$$b=-2a^2$$

##y## will also satisfy ##y \leq 0## so
$$-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ax+b \leq 0$$

Since ##b=-2a^2##, finding restriction for ##a+b## is the same as finding restriction for ##-a^2##

How to find the restriction by using all of those?

Or is it simply taking ##x=1## and put it into ##-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ax+b \leq 0## and the reason is "because it works"?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Given that ##y=-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ax+b##, find the range of values of ##a+b## if ##y## is tangent to x-axis
Relevant Equations:: Quadratic

Discriminant

Derivative

The answer is ##a+b \leq \frac{1}{8}## but I don't know how to get it.

Tangent to the x-axis means the vertex is at the x-axis so the y coordinate of the vertex = 0

$$y=-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ax+b$$
$$y'=0$$
$$-\frac{1}{4}x+a=0$$
$$x=4a \rightarrow y=2a^2+b$$

So
$$2a^2+b=0$$
$$b=-2a^2$$

##y## will also satisfy ##y \leq 0## so
$$-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ax+b \leq 0$$

Since ##b=-2a^2##, finding restriction for ##a+b## is the same as finding restriction for ##-a^2##
It's fine to here. Now you can express ##a + b## as a function of ##a##. You're looking for the ????? of that function?

Likes songoku
You can get immediately to [itex]a^2 + \frac12b = 0[/itex] by observing that the only way a quadratic can be tangent to the [itex]x[/itex] axis is if it has a double root, so that the discriminant (which here is [itex]a^2 + \frac12 b[/itex]) is zero.

Likes songoku and SammyS
PeroK said:
It's fine to here. Now you can express ##a + b## as a function of ##a##. You're looking for the ????? of that function?
Sorry I don't understand your hint.

##a+b=a-2a^2##

Since the question is asking about range of ##a+b##, I need to find the upper and lower bound of ##a-2a^2## ? Is this what you mean?

Thanks

songoku said:

##a+b=a-2a^2##

Since the question is asking about range of ##a+b##, I need to find the upper and lower bound of ##a-2a^2## ? Is this what you mean?

Thanks
What is the minimum or maximum value which ##a-2a^2## can have?

Likes songoku
songoku said:

##a+b=a-2a^2##

Thanks
Yes, exactly. You need to find the range of the function ##a - 2a^2##, which is another quadratic

Likes songoku
Thank you very much for the help PeroK, pasmith, SammyS

1. What does "a + b" mean in this context?

"a + b" refers to the sum of two variables, a and b. It is a mathematical expression used to represent the addition of two quantities.

2. How do you find the range of values for "a + b"?

To find the range of values for "a + b", you need to know the possible values for a and b. Then, you can add the smallest value of a to the smallest value of b to get the minimum value for "a + b". Similarly, you can add the largest value of a to the largest value of b to get the maximum value for "a + b". The range of values for "a + b" is the difference between the maximum and minimum values.

3. Can the range of values for "a + b" be negative?

Yes, the range of values for "a + b" can be negative. This can happen when the sum of the smallest values of a and b is negative, and the sum of the largest values of a and b is positive. In this case, the range of values for "a + b" will be a negative number.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding the range of values for "a + b"?

No, there is no specific formula for finding the range of values for "a + b". It depends on the values of a and b, and you need to add the smallest and largest values to get the range. However, if a and b have a known distribution, you can use statistical methods to estimate the range of values for "a + b".

5. How does finding the range of values for "a + b" help in scientific research?

In scientific research, "a + b" could represent the sum of two variables that are being studied. By finding the range of values for "a + b", researchers can understand the potential range of outcomes and make informed decisions based on the data. It can also help in identifying any outliers or extreme values that may affect the overall results of the study.