1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia, Gravitational Potential Energy

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A meter stick with a mass of .160kg is pivoted about one end so it can rotate without friction about a horizontal axis. The meter stick is held in a horizontal position and released. As it swings through the vertical, calculate (a) the change in gravitational potential energy that has occured; (b) the angular speed of the stick; (c) the linear speed of the end of the stick opposite the axis. (d) Compare the answer in part (c) to the speed of a particle that has fallen 1.m, starting from rest.

3. The attempt at a solution

i have no idea, i cant even get the first part. i beleive it is supposed to be something kind of like this sitting on a table: [​IMG]
    and then they drop it while it is spinning?
    idk i could use some help
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: To calculate the the change in G.P.E you can treat the meter stick as a point particle of mass 0.16kg located at the centre of mass of the meter stick.
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    What I'm reading is if you held a meter stick in your hand parallel to the ground and then let it rotate down from the end you're holding so the opposite end falls while you still hold the end that was in your hand. That's rotating about one end of the meter stick.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.
  5. Apr 23, 2008 #4
    @ above:
    100 percent perfect interpretation.

The rod is in perfect rotation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?