Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertial load model penetration

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    I have an FEA model where all my parts are bonded contacts (no contact surfaces). I am trying to fix one end of this model and apply inertial load on the other.
    However the heavy parts are penetrating into the soft ones. How do I avoid this model penetration?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3

minger

Science Advisor

I have problems with it too; if you find the answer, let me know. Typically if the parts are bonded, then i just unite them in UG, then import them as one single parasolid.

I figure the bonded contact can't be too (hoepfully) different than the element itself.

5. Oct 16, 2008 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds to me like the contact conditions aren't defined properly, or the penetrations aren't "real." Sometimes when you are displaying displacements using ANSYS Workbench, it will automatically scale the displacements being displayed so it's easy to see what's going on; however, this can make things look artificially deformed, especially when the diplacements are scaled up by a factor of 1000 or more.

I would like to see a screenshot of your geometry and where the penetrations is occurring, I suspect it can be solved by re-defining the contact conditions and taking a good look at your loading and boundary conditions.

6. Oct 16, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I do believe in ANSYS you can control the amount of penetration between nodes and or surfaces. I will check on that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?