Inertial load model penetration

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of model penetration in an FEA model with bonded contacts and how to avoid it. The participants share their struggles with contact analysis and offer tips for solving the issue, such as defining contact conditions and checking loading and boundary conditions. ANSYS is mentioned as a useful tool for this type of analysis.
spider80
Hi,
I have an FEA model where all my parts are bonded contacts (no contact surfaces). I am trying to fix one end of this model and apply inertial load on the other.
However the heavy parts are penetrating into the soft ones. How do I avoid this model penetration?

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have problems with it too; if you find the answer, let me know. Typically if the parts are bonded, then i just unite them in UG, then import them as one single parasolid.

I figure the bonded contact can't be too (hoepfully) different than the element itself.

spider80 said:
Hi,
I have an FEA model where all my parts are bonded contacts (no contact surfaces). I am trying to fix one end of this model and apply inertial load on the other.
However the heavy parts are penetrating into the soft ones. How do I avoid this model penetration?

Thanks,

It sounds to me like the contact conditions aren't defined properly, or the penetrations aren't "real." Sometimes when you are displaying displacements using ANSYS Workbench, it will automatically scale the displacements being displayed so it's easy to see what's going on; however, this can make things look artificially deformed, especially when the diplacements are scaled up by a factor of 1000 or more.

I would like to see a screenshot of your geometry and where the penetrations is occurring, I suspect it can be solved by re-defining the contact conditions and taking a good look at your loading and boundary conditions.

I do believe in ANSYS you can control the amount of penetration between nodes and or surfaces. I will check on that.

1. What is meant by "inertial load model penetration"?

"Inertial load model penetration" refers to the amount or percentage of the power system that is represented by an inertial load model. An inertial load model represents the rotational inertia of a generator, which is important for maintaining system stability and frequency control.

2. Why is inertial load model penetration important?

Inertial load model penetration is important because it affects the overall stability and reliability of the power system. A higher penetration means more accurate representation of the system's inertia, which is crucial for maintaining frequency stability during disturbances.

3. How is inertial load model penetration calculated?

Inertial load model penetration is calculated by dividing the total number of generators with an inertial load model by the total number of generators in the power system. This gives a percentage value for the penetration.

4. What is the ideal inertial load model penetration for a power system?

The ideal inertial load model penetration for a power system is around 100%. This means that all generators in the system are represented by an inertial load model, providing the most accurate representation of system inertia for stability and frequency control.

5. How does increasing inertial load model penetration affect the power system?

Increasing inertial load model penetration can improve system stability and frequency control by accurately representing the inertia of the system. It can also help to reduce the potential for frequency deviations and blackouts. However, it may also increase the cost and complexity of system operation and control.