Problem with the friction model in an Abaqus simulation

In summary: I have tried different friction models and different element types and different mesh distributions and densities, but this problem is always there.I am wondering if there is any way to resolve this problem. I really need shear stress e.g. S12 be equal to CSHEAR.Welcome to PF. :smile:
mkamrani
Hello,

I have faced a weird problem and would really appreciate any comments. Assume a 2D model e.g. an axisymmetric model, meshed with quad, linear, and reduced integration elements.

As you now if a model contains contact, we will get "CSHEAR1" and "CSHEAR2" in outputs. Assuming that the contact surface is and remains flat and horizontal, one can expect S12 (shear component of stress tensor in outputs) on the contact surface to be equal to CSHEAR1 or CSHEAR2 (shear stress in the outputs which is based on the friction model).

But, my experience shows that if the layer of elements on the contact surface are a little distorted (after some level of deformation applied to the model), these two can be different. I understand that S12 is calculated on the integration points and then interpolated to the nodal points, but still I expect S12 and CSHEAR1 to be equal.

I have tried different friction models and different element types and different mesh distributions and densities, but this problem is always there.

I would appreciate any comments or ideas regarding the reason behind this or how to resolve this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
One thing to keep in mind regarding CSHEAR output variable is that Abaqus calculates it with respect to local tangent directions on the surfaces (CTANDIR). They are not always the same as global directions and can rotate if NLGEOM is on. It's also important how CSHEAR is actually calculated. Abaqus evaluates it at each constraint point as a scalar product of this variable's vector and local tangent direction. Due to these facts I think that CSHEAR components don't always correspond to regular shear stress components.

thanks for the response. I do appreciate it. I am wondering if there is any way to resolve this problem. I really need shear stress e.g. S12 be equal to CSHEAR.
thanks,

If you plot CTANDIR you might be able to adjust shear stress output to correlate with CSHEAR. What I mean is that you can create a user coordinate system and transform results (including stress values) to this system. It might be also easier with NLGEOM=Off.

Thanks for your help

mkamrani said:
Thanks for your help
Sir,did you solve this problem? Can you kindly explain it in detail?I am facing this problem as you, much thanks to you.

Welcome to PF. :smile:

Jason LIN said:
Sir,did you solve this problem? Can you kindly explain it in detail?I am facing this problem as you, much thanks to you.
Can you show your work so far please? Thanks.

1. What is the friction model used in Abaqus simulations?

The friction model used in Abaqus simulations is the Coulomb friction model, which assumes that the frictional force between two surfaces is proportional to the normal force and is independent of the sliding velocity.

2. What are the limitations of the Coulomb friction model in Abaqus simulations?

The Coulomb friction model assumes that the frictional force remains constant regardless of the sliding velocity and does not take into account the effects of temperature, surface roughness, and lubrication. This can result in inaccurate predictions of frictional behavior in real-world scenarios.

3. How can the accuracy of the friction model in Abaqus simulations be improved?

The accuracy of the friction model in Abaqus simulations can be improved by using more advanced friction models such as the Amontons-Coulomb or Tresca models, which take into account the effects of sliding velocity, temperature, and surface roughness. Additionally, experimental data can be used to calibrate the friction model for a specific material or contact interface.

4. What are some common sources of error when using the friction model in Abaqus simulations?

Common sources of error when using the friction model in Abaqus simulations include incorrect material properties, improper meshing, and inadequate contact definition. It is important to carefully review and validate all input parameters to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any alternative methods to model friction in Abaqus simulations?

Yes, there are alternative methods to model friction in Abaqus simulations, such as using user-defined subroutines or incorporating experimental data through the use of user-defined fields. These methods allow for more flexibility and customization in modeling frictional behavior, but may require more advanced knowledge of Abaqus and programming skills.