Inevitability - fact or philosophical question?

• B
  • Thread starter Grinkle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an infinite universe where all possible configurations exist an infinite number of times. The question is raised about the likelihood of a universe where a person randomly flips a coin every year until their death, and whether or not this is possible based on the laws of physics. The concept of MWI is also brought up as a theoretical solution to the measuring problem, but it is noted that mathematicians may struggle with defining the measure space for this concept. The conversation is ultimately deemed too vague and philosophical to continue.
Grinkle
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Given sufficient trials, is it a logical fact that all possible outcomes will eventually occur, or is this a point on which reasonable people can disagree?
The question is motivated by pondering MWI and also a universe of infinite extent where all possible configurations (even the set of least likely configurations) might or perhaps must be found an infinite number of times. Seems easy to make absurd, but that doesn't mean its not true, I guess.

Somewhere is there a universe where I was born and as soon as I became old enough I decided to sit in a chair and flip a coin and record the results year after year until I died of old age? And in that universe, people decided to keep me well fed and cared for me as best they could for no particular reason? That seems highly unlikely, but I don't think any law of physics precludes it. Really hard to get my head around anything that can happen must happen given enough trials.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is far too vague to be answered in any reasonable way. That is why we introduced Lebesgue integration and sigma algebras.

Let's say you randomly pick a real number. What are the chances to pick ##0##? What are "enough" trials? MWI is in my opinion a theoretical construct to solve the measuring problem, something like virtual particles. It should be discussed in physics, since mathematicians are lost if you cannot define the measure space you are settling your question in. Anyway, it is also too close to philosophy the way it is worded.

This thread is closed.

1. What is inevitability?

Inevitability refers to something that is bound to happen or cannot be avoided. It is often associated with the concept of fate or destiny.

2. Is inevitability a fact or a philosophical question?

This is a philosophical question as it deals with the nature of reality and the idea of determinism versus free will. Some argue that certain events are predetermined and therefore inevitable, while others believe that we have the power to shape our own future.

3. Can inevitability be proven?

No, inevitability cannot be proven as it is a philosophical concept and not a scientific fact. It is a matter of personal belief and interpretation.

4. How does inevitability relate to science?

Inevitability is often discussed in relation to scientific theories and discoveries. For example, some may argue that the laws of physics and chemistry make certain events inevitable, while others may argue that our understanding of these laws is limited and there is still room for free will.

5. Can we change the inevitable?

This is a debated question and ultimately depends on one's beliefs. Some argue that certain events are predetermined and cannot be changed, while others believe that we have the power to change our future through our choices and actions.