Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inexact differential equation with unknown function M(t)

1. Feb 18, 2014 #1

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I am looking for a general expression for an integrating factor μ(x,t) to solve the following diffential equation for x(t)

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{x - f}{x}[/tex]

f = f(t) is an arbitrary function of t with f > 0 and df/dt < 0

Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2014 #2
    This ODE is an Abel's equation which is not solvable on it's general form. The function f must be explicitely defined for any further attempt to solve it.

4. Feb 19, 2014 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

JJacqulin, is there a proof that you cannot solve it for general good profile for $f(t)$?

5. Feb 19, 2014 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Thanks for the hint regarding the type of the equation. One can set z=1/x which transforms the equation in an Abel's equation of the 1st kind (in x it's 2nd kind). I found several statements that this type of equation is not solvable via integration in general, but that there are special cases where this may be possible - unfortunately w/o any further explanations what these special cases are :-(

6. Feb 19, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

I think "cannot solve" here means "cannot solve analytically", not "can prove that a solution does not exist even for well-behaved [itex]f[/itex]".

7. Feb 19, 2014 #6
    "An Abel ordinary differential equation class generalizing known integrable classes" : E.S. Cheb-Terrah, A.D.Roche, arXIV:math/0002059v3, 23 Feb 2004
    Note: in is impossible to say that a today non-integrable ODE wili not become integrable in the futur. All depends of the standard special functions defined in the present and in the futur. A new special function could be studied, published, implemented in the maths sofwares, accepted and recorded as a standard special function. Eventualy, this new special function may allow to solve an Abel's ODE which was not solvable before.
    http://fr.scribd.com/doc/14623310/S...tions-Safari-au-pays-des-fonctions-speciales-

8. Feb 19, 2014 #7
    Of course, "cannot solve" here means "cannot solve analytically". The ODE considered by tom.stoers is solvable thanks to numerial methods.

9. Feb 19, 2014 #8

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

What I mean is that the equation

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{x - f}{x}[/tex]

cannot be solved via a general formula like the formula used for exact differential equations. This is what I am looking for and what is not known today, as I had to learn.

10. Feb 19, 2014 #9

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If ##f## is a constant, you can solve this in terms of the Lambert W function. I discovered this by plugging it into Mathematica DSolve, but here's a simple way to get the answer. Consider

[tex]t = x - a + a \ln (x - a) + C[/tex]
    Then

[tex]\frac{dt}{dx} = 1 + \frac{a}{x - a} = \frac{x}{x - a}[/tex]
    which is what we want, so just invert ##t(x)##:

[tex]\tilde{C} e^{t/a} = \frac{(x - a)}{a} e^{(x - a)/a}[/tex]
    or

[tex]x = a \big[ 1 + W( \tilde{C} e^{t/a} ) \big][/tex]
    Edit: But I guess if ##f## is a constant, the equation was separable anyway.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  11. Feb 19, 2014 #10

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

for f = const. the equation is separable, so no post is necessary ;-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook