Infinite line intersecting parabola only once

In summary, the conditions for an infinite continuous line (ax+by=c) to only cross a parabola once are limited to a straight, vertical line. This is because the slope of the parabola can never be zero, so any line with a non-zero slope will eventually cross the parabola again. While there may be other options, such as a line that just touches the parabola at one point, it must be noted that the line must cross the parabola, not just share a point like a tangent line. Additionally, it is true that a line that crosses a parabola and is not tangent and which crosses it only once must be parallel to the axis of the parabola. However,
FiveAlive
I think I know the answer to this problem however I am not 100% sure.

I must describe the conditions in which an infinite continuous line (ax+by=c) will only cross a parabola once. I believe the only answer is a straight, vertical line because while the slope of the parabola may approach zero and become extremely small it will never be zero. Therefore if the line has any slope at all, not matter how small, it will eventually cross the parabola again.

Am I correct in this conclusion? Are there options besides a vertical line?

Thanking you in advance,
Linus

Physics news on Phys.org
Should I assume since my post has many views but no replies that I am on the mark?

Well what about a line that just touches the parabola at one point?

I think the line must cross the parabola, not just share a point like a tangent line. I only assume this because we did tangent lines a while ago and it seems strange to have an assignment solely about finding them.

It is true that a line that crosses a parabola and is not tangent and which crosses it only once must be parallel to the axis of the parabola. But your proof of it is not very convincing. If there's no need to really prove it, then that's probably fine.

1. What is an infinite line intersecting a parabola only once?

An infinite line intersecting a parabola only once means that the line and the parabola intersect at exactly one point. This point is called the point of intersection.

2. How can you determine if an infinite line intersects a parabola only once?

To determine if an infinite line intersects a parabola only once, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for the x-coordinate of the point of intersection. If the discriminant of the formula is equal to 0, then the line intersects the parabola only once.

3. What is the significance of an infinite line intersecting a parabola only once?

An infinite line intersecting a parabola only once has significant implications in mathematics and physics. It can be used to solve equations and problems involving parabolas and to determine the point of intersection between a line and a curve.

4. Can an infinite line intersect a parabola more than once?

Yes, an infinite line can intersect a parabola more than once. This can happen if the line is tangent to the parabola at a certain point, or if the line crosses the parabola twice.

5. How is an infinite line intersecting a parabola only once related to parallel and perpendicular lines?

An infinite line intersecting a parabola only once is related to parallel and perpendicular lines through the slope of the line. If the line and the parabola intersect at a right angle, then the line is perpendicular to the tangent line of the parabola at that point. If the line and the parabola intersect at a slope of 0, then the line is parallel to the tangent line of the parabola at that point.