1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of line intersecting two planes

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the cross product equation for the line L that forms the intersection of the planes:

A: 2x - y + 2z = 1 and B: x + y - 2z = 1.

2. Relevant equations

General equations for planes A and B:

(a, b, and r are vectors).

A: a dot r = 1

B: b dot r = 1

r = xi + yj + zk ; i, j, k here are the unit vectors.

r X (b X a) = b - a

alternatively, (b X a) X r = a - b

3. The attempt at a solution

I only know one way in which to solve for the equation of a line intersecting two planes and that is to use the coefficients of the variables of x, y, and z to define two normal vectors, cross those normal vectors to get a parallel line to the intersecting line, then set x, y, or z equal to zero and solve the equations for x and y to define a point. Then, having a vector in the direction of the line (the cross product of the norms) and a point on the line, put it in the form r(t) = (position vector of point) + t(cross product of the norms). I solved the equation for the line in this way, but my teacher wants it as a "cross product equation." I have no clue how to get a and b to stick into the equations for the planes listed above. The only thing I could think of was using the coefficients of x, y, and z; but that makes no sense because that would be dotting a vector with its normal vector and the product would be 0, not 1. Does anyone have any ideas? The parametric equation I got for the line was r(t) = < 2/3, 1/3, 0, 6, 3 >, but this is not in the r X (b X a) form he wants it in. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here is a simpler method: Any point on the intersection of the two planes must lie on both planes. And that means that if we designate the point (x, y, z), x, y, and z must satisfy both equations. Now, if we had three equations, we could, generally, solve for specific values of x, y, and z: three planes intersect in a single point.

With two equations, we can solve for two of the variables in terms of the third, using that third as parameter in parametric equations for a line.

Here, notice that one equation has "-y+ 2z" and the other has "y- 2z". Adding the equations, both y and z cancel, leaving a single equation in x only. Solve that for a specific value for x. The line is parallel to the yz-plane, x is that constant all along the line. Putting that value of x into the equations gives you one equation in y and z. Solve for y in terms of z and use z as parameter or solve for z in terms of y and use y as parameter.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  4. Jun 11, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Actually, your idea is right. Take the first plane, for example. You have ##2x-y+2z=1##, which can be written as ##(2,-1,2)\cdot(x,y,z) = 1##, which is the form you said you want.

An equation of a plane of the form ##\vec{n}\cdot \vec{r} = 0## corresponds to a plane that passes through the origin. For one that doesn't go through the origin, its equation can be expressed in the form ##\vec{n}\cdot (\vec{r} - \vec{r}_0) = 0##, where ##\vec{r}_0## is a point that lies in the plane.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  5. Jun 11, 2015 #4
    @HallsofIvy I did not think of doing that, but I will definitely give it a shot. Thank you!

@vela I never even considered the case of n⃗ ⋅(r⃗ − r⃗ 0) = 0, thank you so much. That has just helped me accomplish what I set out to do!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted