1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinitesimal arc-length square

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    Hello

I am trying to understand the "infinitesimal arc-length square." So (ds)^2=(dx)^2+(dy)^2+(dz)^2. What does this means?

And then what does (ds)^2=(dx)^2+(1+x^2)(dy)^2 -2x(dy) +(dz)^2 mean? And how does this apply to a space?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have a parameterized curve

[tex]\vec r(t) = \langle x(t), y(t), z(t) \rangle,\, t \in [a,b][/tex]

you calculate the arc length by taking the limit of polygonal approcimations. If

[tex]a = t_0 < t_1 < ...< t_n = b[/tex]

the polygonal approximation to the arc length is

[tex]P_n = \sum_{i=1}^n |\vec r(t_i) - \vec r(t_{i-1})|[/tex]

Here the absolute value signs represent Euclidean distance so

[tex] |\vec r(t_i) - \vec r(t_{i-1})| = \sqrt{(x(t_i)-x(t_{i-1}))^2+(y(t_i)-y(t_{i-1}))^2+(z(t_i)-z(t_{i-1}))^2}[/tex]

This is sometimes written the the delta notation:

[tex]\Delta s_i \approx \Delta P_i =\sqrt{(\Delta x_i)^2 + (\Delta y_i)^2 + (\Delta z_i})^2[/tex]

Passing to the limit suggests the notation [itex]ds^2 = dx^2+dy^2+dz^2[/itex]

4. Nov 30, 2009 #3
    Thanks, that's great.

I'm not really sure if this question would be well defined, but how would I then apply this method to the second metric [tex]
    (ds)^2=(dx)^2+(1+x^2)(dy)^2 -2x(dy) +(dz)^2
    [/tex]?

5. Nov 30, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't say I have seen that kind of expression. The type of line integral you usually see in calculus is one of these two:

[tex]\int_C \vec F \cdot\, d\vec R\ or\ \int_C \delta(x,y,z)\ ds[/tex]

The first might represent work in a force field and the second the mass of a wire. Perhaps you are thinking of some other setting or application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook