How to find the infinitesimal coordinate transform along a hyperbola?

Sciencemaster
TL;DR Summary
I've been told that the infinitesimal change in coordinates x and y takes the form δx=wy and δy=wx, and I was hoping someone could help me figure out why.
I've been told that the infinitesimal change in coordinates x and y as you rotate along a hyperbola that fits the equation b(dy)^2-a(dx)^2=r takes the form δx=bwy and δy=awx, where w is a function of the angle of rotation (I'm pretty sure it's something like sinh(theta) but it wasn't clarified for me so I'm not 100% sure). However, I'm not sure why this is the case, and I was hoping someone could show me how you get these infantesimal transformations and how they preserve the invariant r.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The last time I saw this point of view was when I wrote my insight article When Lie Groups Became Physics based on a book from 1911! I have tried to use rotation as an example (the equations in brackets [...]) so maybe it helps.

• Wow
Likes Sciencemaster and e_jane

1. What is an infinitesimal coordinate transform?

An infinitesimal coordinate transform is a mathematical technique used to find the coordinates of a point on a curve or surface by using infinitesimal changes in the coordinates.

2. How is an infinitesimal coordinate transform used along a hyperbola?

In the case of a hyperbola, an infinitesimal coordinate transform is used to find the coordinates of a point on the hyperbola by using small changes in the coordinates along the curve.

3. What is the equation for an infinitesimal coordinate transform on a hyperbola?

The equation for an infinitesimal coordinate transform on a hyperbola is dx/dt = a*cos(t), dy/dt = b*sin(t), where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the hyperbola, and t is the parameter along the curve.

4. How does an infinitesimal coordinate transform help in studying hyperbolas?

An infinitesimal coordinate transform allows for a more precise and efficient way of studying hyperbolas by providing a way to find the coordinates of any point on the curve. It also helps in visualizing the shape and properties of the hyperbola.

5. Are there any limitations to using an infinitesimal coordinate transform on a hyperbola?

Yes, there are limitations to using an infinitesimal coordinate transform on a hyperbola. It may not be suitable for finding the coordinates of points that are very close to the foci of the hyperbola, as the calculations become more complex and less accurate in that region.