1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinity: Beyond the Beyond the Beyond

1. May 29, 2007 #1
    Infinity : Beyond the Beyond the Beyond
    Lillian Lieber, and Hugh Lieber

I am not sure how many of you on this forum are familiar with this book but I have a copy of it and it seems very interesting but very strange. I want to know if its worth a read. I enjoy the talk of SAM and I want to get into the book but don't want to read another dead-end.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'm not familiar with this book, but some of my fondest memories of high school was stumbling onto their charming book "The Einstein Theory Of Relativity". It starts from nothing at all and leads you, step by step, to Einstein's equations in their full tensorial glory. Amazing. (I should dig it up and reread it; I haven't written a Christoffel symbol in decades. :uhh:)

So my advice, since you already have it, is to give it a try.
  4. May 19, 2008 #3
    There had been some difficulty in reprinting this book because of ambiguity in the ownership of the copyright. I don't know how the issue got resolved, but now I see that Amazon is taking pre-orders for a reprint that has not yet been released.

The Einstein Theory of Relativity.
  5. May 24, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

as a high school student in love with math, i got next to nothing out of lieber's "education of tc mits", or her "galois and the theory of groups". these were books that my teacher recommended to me, and to me they were almost in the category of the horrible books by james fenimore cooper that the librarian recommended as literature.

in my opinion she writes for people she seems to think have no chance of understanding the topic, so does not make it feasible that they will do so by reading her books. i remember only very dumbed down and corny explanations interspersed with brief snatches of real math but not in enough detail or precision to grasp.

but others here have apparently had different experiences. maybe i would too if i looked again after 50 years, but i am not much motivated to do so.

but you cannot know without reading it yourself. a friend once put me off the great treatise of eilenberg maclane on homological algebra, saying it was something bad. years later i opened it and found it wonderfully clear and powerful. when i went back he admitted he was only repeating what his brother had said, and when quizzed, the brother denied saying the same thing, claiming he had only found it "tedious", i.e. apparently too detailed and clear!
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?