Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinity vs Transfinite?

1. Apr 13, 2015 #1
    So transfinite is larger than infinity right?
    So if there was an infinitely large object, would a transfinite object be larger than the infinitely large object?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

4. Apr 13, 2015 #3

So is transfinity bigger than infinity?

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4
    Err, did you actually click on the link? Your question is answered right in the first sentence of that article.

6. Apr 13, 2015 #5
    It said absolute infinity was bigger than transfinity. What I got from that was absolute infinity > transfinity > infinity.

7. Apr 14, 2015 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

What I get from the Wiki article on the transfinite is that "absolute infinity" is a concept that leads to paradox. It cannot exist.

I had to go digging for the meaning of "transfinity". It is a noun referring to the general concept of the transfinite. It is not a number.

"Infinity" is not a single well defined number. Comparing it for size against something else that is not a number at all is nonsensical.

8. Apr 14, 2015 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Transfinite is a term used to describe various sizes of infinity, countable, non-countable, etc., usually described by alephs. Infinity is a more general term about quantities that are not finite.

This discussion should be in the mathematics forum.

9. Apr 14, 2015 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Done. :smile:

10. Apr 17, 2015 #9
    Okay I did some extra research kind of get it now. So transfinite just refers to the sets of never ending numbers, and Infinity is supposed to contain all transfinite sets. Is that correct?

11. Apr 17, 2015 #10

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook