Inflationary framework of the universe

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter The P-manator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Framework Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
The P-manator
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Alright everyone, it's been a long time since I've been on here but I've come to realize it's really helpful so I've started visiting again! Anyways, I have a little confusion about the inflationary framework of the universe. So... I've been reading this book called The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene and I've found it really helpful. I've just finished the chapter on inflation, and I'm still left with a couple questions...

He describes the very beginning as being a high-entropy mix of stuff, where the inflaton field came, by chance, to rest on the right value in a certain area for a little while that it sparked the period of rapid expansion that created low gravitational entropy and therefore left the stage for normal attractive gravity to create higher entropy environments as we know them today. But, what was there when the inflaton field rested on the right value? What was around? Had the big bang already happened, or was this mix of stuff pre-big bang? I'm sort of confused.

Thanks for any help...

Pierre.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Inflation happens after the big bang, in the very early universe. During the inflationary period, the universe is dominated by the hypothetical "scalar field" which is commonly called the inflaton.