Infographic Article Showing Land Use in US

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary: The Land Report magazine is a well respected publication.In summary, the article discusses how private landownership has grown since 2008 and the importance of The Land Report magazine when it comes to data on land ownership.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This Bloomburg article uses an set of interesting graphics (based on a variety of government data) to display how land is used in the US, usually down to pixels of 250,000 acres.

Likes Tom.G, Ygggdrasil, gleem and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
"Forest" is almost all back east? :oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised:

Yeah, one of many surprising things.

Bystander said:
"Forest" is almost all back east? :oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised:
I'm not surprised, having driven through a lot of "pasture/range" and "cropland" on my trips out West. :-p

I'm not surprised to read that urban creep (I'm assuming this would include suburban sprawl as well, with construction of new homes and subdivisions) would outpace all other land-use categories.

What is interesting to note is just how much land is owned by the 100 largest private landowners (the article doesn't state whether these private landowners are individuals or corporations). According to the article, ownership of land by these private landowners have grown since 2008 from 28 million acres to 40 million, a growth rate of 42.9% within a decade if my arithmetic is right.

What I would like to see is a graph indicating the overall trends in private landownership over the past 50 years or so. I'm curious how readily available that information is, since I wonder whether ownership of land is a matter of public record in the US.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
StatGuy2000 said:
since I wonder whether ownership of land is a matter of public record in the US.
Yes it is. However it is by County so you would have to get records from 3 007 individual government agencies. This would probably be more work than the data processing!

Edit: After looking at the maps, I noticed this tidbit: In the "Methodology" text just after the map:
"Data showing the 100 largest landowning families are based on descriptions of acreage and land type in The Land Report magazine."
That would certainly be easier than asking 3 007 counties!

Last edited:

1. What is an infographic article showing land use in the US?

An infographic article showing land use in the US is a visual representation of how land is utilized in the United States. It typically includes data and statistics presented in a visually appealing and easily understandable format.

2. Why is it important to have an infographic article showing land use in the US?

Having an infographic article showing land use in the US allows us to better understand how our land is being used and how it may impact our environment and economy. It also provides valuable information for decision making and policy development.

3. What type of land use is typically included in an infographic article showing land use in the US?

An infographic article showing land use in the US can include a variety of different land uses, such as agricultural land, urban development, forests, water bodies, and protected areas. It may also showcase changes in land use over time.

4. How is the data for an infographic article showing land use in the US collected?

The data for an infographic article showing land use in the US is typically collected through various methods, including satellite imagery, surveys, and government databases. This data is then analyzed and presented in a visual format for easy understanding.

5. What are the benefits of using an infographic article to show land use in the US?

Using an infographic article to show land use in the US allows for complex data to be presented in a simple and visually appealing manner. It also allows for comparisons and trends to be easily identified, making it a useful tool for education and decision making.