Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information needed on this physics thesis

1. Apr 24, 2006 #1
    i was replaying this FPS game and the game's main protoganist is a physicist who did his phd thesis on "Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures by Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array"

anyone knows what does this mean in plain simple english? or is it just gibberish? i know that EPR would have to do with teleportation i guess

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2006 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It surely looks like gibberish. In fact, there's a simple technique to write impressive scientifically sounding gibberish: select randomly existing concepts from different fields (as nouns, adjectives, adverbs ...), and compound a syntactically correct phrase with them.

EPR entanglement exists as a concept. Mainly used in quantum optics.
    What supraquantum structures are, I don't know, but the supra is sometimes used in quantum-mechanical phenomena (supraconductivity...)
    induction is somewhat boring, comes from classical electromagnetism
    non-linear is a property of mathematical systems, in vogue since the observation of chaotic behaviour and so on
    transuranic: artificially produced elements in nuclear physics, like plutonium...
    extremely long wavelength is used in plasma physics of the atmosphere ; it comes down to very low frequency radiowaves (needing spatially very extended sources)
    Mode-locking is a technique in pulsed lasers
    Array: well, used sometimes in array antennas or something

But the entire sentence, using these definitions, is entire gibberish.

4. Apr 24, 2006 #3
    it sure does look impressive to me :D

wiki says it means "how to teleport large objects by shooting radio pulses through crystals of very heavy elements"

i was wondering if it is correct? can those who are well versed in physics confirm or deny?

5. Apr 24, 2006 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Que ?? :bugeye:

6. Apr 24, 2006 #5
    still sounds like nonsense. or actually is nonsense.

7. Apr 24, 2006 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

EPR entanglement is used to transfer the properties of one photon to another, in a sense "teleporting" it, but like the others say its just a load of things they've strung together to make this character appear as some sort of super physicist. The teleportationof objects is a fantasy as Entanglement merely transfers the properties of one photon to another existing photon. I think this was done in Austria at the university of Vienna if you'd like to chase it up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?