1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Informative Reality Check

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    Hello, I'm a 25 year old veteran who is currently enrolled in school. I'm curious how many of you think that going after a degree in Astrophysics would be a waste for someone like me.

I've just recently started going back to school after finishing my term of service. I am currently going to a community college, but hope to transfer to a full University by next spring.

I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into, and whether or not I'm even capable of achieving this goal.
    I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a genius, however I might be considered slightly above average.
    Although my first Semester back to school was somewhat successful (4 A's and an A-)
    My time in College and High School before my military service was rather pathetic (cumulative gpa of 2.12 prior to my first semester back)

I greatly appreciate the help any of you can give me, regardless of being positive or negative.

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2
    I think you should be fine. Plenty of people have gone back to school at ages later than yours to get physics/math/engineering degrees. You then could go on to grad school, or seek jobs in industry and finance with the math and computational skills you'll have. As long as your put the work in, you'll be fine.

Astrophysics (like all physics) is a difficult topic. You may be required to take additional computational courses and the like, but again, if you put the work in and seek help if you need it you'll be fine.

Keep your grades up so you can transfer like you wanted to, and make sure the school your transferring to has some sort of astrophysics program or course track.

4. May 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

5. May 28, 2013 #4
    This is definitely true. Your age is not a problem unless the admissions committee has some unusually irrational prejudices. It might even be an advantage in some ways.

Assuming you're planning to study in the United States, the usual problems still apply: student debt, low pay, and uncertain employment at graduation. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea to get an astro degree - just read these forums and be aware of the risks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook