Is Pursuing an Astrophysics Degree Worth It for a 25-Year-Old Veteran?

• Thread starter jester4288
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary, many people think that going after an astro degree would not be a waste for someone like the veteran in the conversation. They say that the difficulty of the subject will be offset by the skills the student will have after completing the degree.
jester4288
Hello, I'm a 25 year old veteran who is currently enrolled in school. I'm curious how many of you think that going after a degree in Astrophysics would be a waste for someone like me.

I've just recently started going back to school after finishing my term of service. I am currently going to a community college, but hope to transfer to a full University by next spring.

I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into, and whether or not I'm even capable of achieving this goal.
I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a genius, however I might be considered slightly above average.
Although my first Semester back to school was somewhat successful (4 A's and an A-)
My time in College and High School before my military service was rather pathetic (cumulative gpa of 2.12 prior to my first semester back)

I greatly appreciate the help any of you can give me, regardless of being positive or negative.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should be fine. Plenty of people have gone back to school at ages later than yours to get physics/math/engineering degrees. You then could go on to grad school, or seek jobs in industry and finance with the math and computational skills you'll have. As long as your put the work in, you'll be fine.

Astrophysics (like all physics) is a difficult topic. You may be required to take additional computational courses and the like, but again, if you put the work in and seek help if you need it you'll be fine.

Keep your grades up so you can transfer like you wanted to, and make sure the school your transferring to has some sort of astrophysics program or course track.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

Sentin3l said:
I think you should be fine. Plenty of people have gone back to school at ages later than yours [25] to get physics/math/engineering degrees.
This is definitely true. Your age is not a problem unless the admissions committee has some unusually irrational prejudices. It might even be an advantage in some ways.

Assuming you're planning to study in the United States, the usual problems still apply: student debt, low pay, and uncertain employment at graduation. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea to get an astro degree - just read these forums and be aware of the risks!

As a scientist, my first response would be to say that pursuing any degree, including one in astrophysics, is a personal decision and should be based on your interests and goals. However, I understand your concerns about the potential challenges and obstacles you may face in pursuing this degree as a 25-year-old veteran with a lower GPA.

First and foremost, I want to assure you that your age or past academic performance should not discourage you from pursuing a degree in astrophysics. Many successful scientists and researchers have started their academic careers later in life or have overcome academic struggles to achieve their goals. What is important is your determination, dedication, and passion for the subject.

That being said, astrophysics is a highly challenging and demanding field that requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and critical thinking skills. It is essential that you have a strong understanding of these subjects before pursuing a degree in astrophysics. If you feel that your previous academic performance in these areas may hinder your progress, I would recommend taking additional courses or seeking extra help to strengthen your skills.

Additionally, it is important to consider the job market and potential career opportunities in astrophysics. While it is a fascinating and rewarding field, it can also be highly competitive and may require further education beyond a bachelor's degree. It is important to research and understand the job prospects and requirements before committing to this degree.

In conclusion, pursuing a degree in astrophysics can be a challenging but ultimately fulfilling and rewarding experience. Your age and past academic performance should not discourage you, but it is important to carefully consider your strengths, goals, and the demands of the field before making a decision. I wish you the best of luck in your academic journey.

What is "Informative Reality Check"?

Informative Reality Check is a process of critically examining and verifying information to determine its accuracy and reliability. It involves analyzing evidence, sources, and context to ensure that information is factually correct and unbiased.

Why is "Informative Reality Check" important?

In today's digital age, we are bombarded with vast amounts of information from various sources. It is crucial to differentiate between accurate and misleading information to make informed decisions and avoid spreading false information.

How do you conduct an "Informative Reality Check"?

To conduct an Informative Reality Check, you need to gather evidence from credible sources, verify the information with multiple sources, fact-check statistics and claims, and consider the context and biases of the sources.

What are the benefits of performing an "Informative Reality Check"?

Performing an Informative Reality Check can help you make well-informed decisions, avoid falling for misinformation and propaganda, and improve your critical thinking skills.

What are some common tools and methods used in "Informative Reality Check"?

Some common tools and methods used in Informative Reality Check include fact-checking websites, reverse image search, checking sources' credibility, examining the evidence and context, and consulting experts in the field.