Inland Taipan: Really The Deadliest, or Media Hype?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shalashaska
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Shalashaska
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Well, the title says it all. I'm given to understand that Taipan snakes are fast, loaded with hemotoxins AND neurotoxins, and FAST. There is SO much information out there, and I don't trust Discovery as far as I can throw it.

I'm guessing we have some Aussie scientists here, and I would love to hear about these seemingly nasty reptiles, without resorting to (sometimes misleading) bite statistics, and in the context of a continent where even the PLATYPUS is venomous!
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Top 10" deadliest snake lists are very subjective. People often create lists based on the toxicity of snake venoms but generally do not to take into account the clinical ability to treat, or inability to treat, bites. Many of the world's most venomous snakes have venoms that are very straightforward and 'easy' to treat effectively with the proper anti venoms; Mamba bites are this way. However, other species that might fall far below the so-called 'Top 10' cause a clinical explosion of problems for which anti venoms are not very effective. Some rattlesnake bites are like this. There are still other people who derive their deadly snake lists from deaths in the countries they live in, study in, or that they are just fond of. All these points of view make for tremendous confusion in Top 10 lists. We feel it is far more interesting and important to list the most dangerous and deadly snakes in the world by region.
http://www.reptilegardens.com/learning-pages/snakes/deadliest-snakes/

Other perspectives:

http://www.uoregon.edu/~ddardano/snake/topfivedeadliestsnake.htm

http://crikeymatemosaic.wordpress.com/2006/10/17/the-deadliest-snakes-in-the-world/


If one travels to areas where such snakes are found, one should take proper precautions to avoid interactions, and one should have ready access to anti-venoms.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
http://www.reptilegardens.com/learning-pages/snakes/deadliest-snakes/

Other perspectives:

http://www.uoregon.edu/~ddardano/snake/topfivedeadliestsnake.htm

http://crikeymatemosaic.wordpress.com/2006/10/17/the-deadliest-snakes-in-the-world/


If one travels to areas where such snakes are found, one should take proper precautions to avoid interactions, and one should have ready access to anti-venoms.

*gulp* I see... :eek:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the Inland Taipan snake has the most toxic venom out of all the venomous land snakes. It's not aggressive though unless you really and I mean REALLY piss it off.

In an average bite it releases about 1470* the amount of the LD50. If you did end up getting bitten by one of these snakes though just go get some anti-venom it's treatable.
 
So, there's some hysteria in that it's not the type to chase you like Black Mamba, but if it DOES bite you, get help fast. Wow, Australia doesn't skimp on the venom does it? 1470?!? I guess they really don't like it when mice escape. :bugeye: