Input-referred thermal noise voltage (Razavi exercise)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from the textbook "Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits" and the difficulty the speaker is having with calculating the noise expression for the circuit. The speaker knows that the circuit voltage gain, Av=Vout/Vin, must be computed and that every element in the circuit is a source of current noise. The four sources of current noise are identified as coming from Rd, M1, M2, and RS. However, the speaker is unsure of how to transform current noise into voltage noise and is seeking guidance on how to determine the correct resistance expression for each circuit component.
emdezla
Homework Statement
Calculate the input-referred thermal noise voltage of the circuit assuming lambda equal zero.
Relevant Equations
Both the equations and the solutions are attached
So this is a problem from the legendary Razavi book "Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits" (Specifically, it is the problem 7.7 (c)). I got the solutions online but when I try to calculate the noise expression myself, I don't arrive at the same result. Lambda is assumed zero for neglecting Ro of the transistors
1574705965624.png

1574706093926.png

I know the circuit voltage gain Av=Vout/Vin has to be computed and I can to do that.
Then I know that every element of the circuit has to be assumed as a source of current noise. I also can do that, and for this case, we have the 4 following current noise:
  • Current noise from Rd = 4KT/Rd
  • Current noise from M1 = 4KT*(2/3)*gm_1
  • Current noise from M2 = 4KT*(2/3)*gm_2
  • Current noise from RS = 4KT/Rs
So far so good, but here is where the problem comes: I have to transform current noise into voltage noise by multiplying by a resistance (V^2 = R^2*I^2) And I don't really know what's the correct method or procedure to obtain the suitable resistance expression for the current noise of each circuit component. These are my guesses after doing many exercises so far:
  • Resistance for M1 noise: if this transistor is used for amplification then R = Av/gm_1
  • Resistance for M2 noise: if this transistor is used as an active load then R = Rout (output resistance of the whole circuit)
  • Resistance for Rd noise: no idea, but usually is R = Rd
  • Resistance for Rs noise: no idea at all
So yes, that is basically my question: how do we compute the resistance for transforming the current noise of a circuit component to a voltage noise. Thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you :rolleyes:

1. What is input-referred thermal noise voltage?

Input-referred thermal noise voltage is the random voltage fluctuations that occur in an electronic circuit due to thermal energy. It is caused by the random movement of electrons in conductors and can affect the accuracy and precision of electronic systems.

2. How is input-referred thermal noise voltage calculated?

Input-referred thermal noise voltage can be calculated using the formula Vn = √(4kTBR), where Vn is the noise voltage, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, B is the bandwidth, and R is the equivalent resistance.

3. What factors can affect input-referred thermal noise voltage?

The main factors that can affect input-referred thermal noise voltage are temperature, bandwidth, and resistance. Higher temperatures, wider bandwidths, and lower resistances can all increase the level of thermal noise in a circuit.

4. How can input-referred thermal noise voltage be reduced?

Input-referred thermal noise voltage can be reduced by using lower temperatures, narrower bandwidths, and higher resistances in a circuit. Additionally, using high-quality components and proper shielding techniques can also help minimize thermal noise.

5. How does input-referred thermal noise voltage impact circuit performance?

Input-referred thermal noise voltage can significantly impact circuit performance by adding unwanted noise to the signal, making it difficult to accurately measure and process. It can also decrease the signal-to-noise ratio and affect the overall precision and accuracy of the circuit.