Inquiry regarding Ashcroft and Mermin's page 365

• A
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses conditions for constructive interference when only scattering from a surface plane is significant. The conditions require that the change in wave vector, q, satisfies certain equations involving lattice vectors and integers. The conversation also addresses the reasoning behind these equations and how they are related to Laue indices.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I'll write the passage from the text which doesn't seem to follow.

Aschroft and Mermin said:
Suppose, furthermore, that the crystal surface is a lattice plane perpendicular to the reciprocal lattice vector ##b_3##.
Choose a set of primitive vectors including ##b_3## for the reciprocal lattice, and primitive vectors ##a_i## for the direct lattice, satisfying:
(18.24) ##a_i\cdot b_j = 2\pi \delta_{ij}##.

If the electron beam penetrates so little that only scattering from the surface plane is significant, then the condition for constructive interference is that the change ##q## is the wave vector of the scattered electron satisfy:

(18.25) ##q\cdot d = 2\pi\times integer, \ \ \ \ \ q=k'-k##
for all vectors ##d## joining lattice points in the plane of the surface (cf. Eq. (6.5)).
Since such ##d## are perpendicular to ##b_3##, they can be written as:
(18.26) ##d = n_1a_1+n_2a_2##.

Writing ##q## in the general form:
(18.27) ##q= \sum_{i=1}^3 q_i b_i , ##

we find that conditions (18.25) and (18.26) require:
(18.28) ##q_1=2\pi \times integer##
##q_2 = 2\pi \times integer##
##q_3 = arbitrary##

For q_1 and q_2 I get that they should be integers without the multiple of ##2\pi##.

Here's my reasoning:
If I plug (18.27) back into the scalar product in (18.25) and also (18.26) and use the identity of (18.24) connecting ##a_i## and ##b_j##, I get:
$$2\pi \times integer = q_1n_1a_1\cdot b_1+q_2n_2a_2\cdot b_2 = 2\pi(q_1n_1+q_2n_2)$$

Divide by ##2\pi## and get: ##integer = q_1n_1+q_2n_2##.
So ##q_i \in \mathbb{Q}##.

How did they get relation (18.28)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to pay attention to the fact that 18.25 is valid for

Ashcroft/Mermn said:
all vectors d joining lattice points in the plane of the surface.

This means that it must also be valid for vectors with [itex]n_1=0[/itex] or [itex]n_2=0[/itex].

Cthugha said:
You need to pay attention to the fact that 18.25 is valid for
This means that it must also be valid for vectors with [itex]n_1=0[/itex] or [itex]n_2=0[/itex].
Ok, this implies that ##q_i\in \mathbb{Z}##, but they write that ##q_i \in 2\pi \mathbb{Z}##; why is that?
For ##i\in \{ 1,2\}## obviously.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
How did they get relation (18.28)?
I believe these are just Laue indices by this definition and should indeed be integers without the 2pi.

1. What is Ashcroft and Mermin's page 365?

Ashcroft and Mermin's page 365 refers to a specific page in the book "Solid State Physics" written by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin. This page discusses the concept of Fermi surfaces in condensed matter physics.

2. Why is page 365 of Ashcroft and Mermin's book significant?

Page 365 is significant because it introduces the concept of Fermi surfaces, which is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of electrons in a solid state. It also provides a visual representation of Fermi surfaces, which helps in understanding the concept better.

3. What is the importance of Fermi surfaces in condensed matter physics?

Fermi surfaces play a vital role in understanding the electronic properties of solids. They provide information about the distribution of electrons in a solid, their energy levels, and their behavior under different conditions. This information is crucial in studying and predicting the properties of materials and designing new materials for various applications.

4. How does page 365 of Ashcroft and Mermin's book explain Fermi surfaces?

Page 365 uses mathematical equations and diagrams to explain the concept of Fermi surfaces. It starts by defining Fermi energy and then goes on to explain how it relates to the distribution of electrons in a solid. It also provides examples of different types of Fermi surfaces and their corresponding materials.

5. Can page 365 of Ashcroft and Mermin's book be understood by non-experts?

While page 365 may be challenging for non-experts to understand fully, it can still provide a basic understanding of Fermi surfaces and their importance in condensed matter physics. It is recommended to have some background knowledge in physics and mathematics to comprehend the concepts presented on this page.