Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous Unit Conversion between CGS and SI units

1. Jul 26, 2010 #1
    In doing some research, I cam across an equation for instantaneous radiated power, with the CGS units "erg/(sec rad cm)", rad being radians (not rad the unit for radiation exposure). Try as I might, I'm not able to come up with a way to convert it to the SI units for watts. Does anyone know where I might find the information about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi KJ4EPE! :smile:

Are you sure this is power? erg/(sec rad cm) looks more like some form of intensity …

there's a useful table of intensities and radiances at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensity_(physics)" [Broken]

but I can't see anything there equivalent to erg/(sec rad cm) :confused:

(and I'd expect steradian instead of radian … erg/(sec rad cm) looks to me cylindrical rather than spherical … is this for a "cylindrical" transmitter?)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jul 26, 2010 #3
    Actually it is! It's for determining the power of synchrotron radiation emitted from a particle beam, essentially the relativistic form of the Larmor formula. But anyway, someone at work was able to point me in the direction of a different equation in SI units, and the results seem to be reasonable. I was confused cause one of the books I was using this morning used the same equation for both SI and CGS units, and I had a hard time figuring out what to use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook