Instead of HCl why should I use H2SO4+NaCl?

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl
In summary, in order to prepare Cl2, a mixture of H2SO4 and NaCl is used instead of HCl because one reaction gives free chlorine gas while the other requires a separate reaction with MnO2 to produce Cl2.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

In my book there is a reaction given that is:
MnO2+4HCl→MnCl2+Cl2+2H2O
To prepare Cl2.
And then it is given that in place of HCl, a mixture of H2SO4+NaCl is used... but why?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

NaCl+H2SO4→NaHSO4+HCl
We here also get HCl. So why should we not use HCl directly? Why should be prefer the latter method?

Physics news on Phys.org
One reaction gives free chlorine gas and one doesn't. You select the reaction appropriate to the end products you wish to obtain.

SteamKing said:
One reaction gives free chlorine gas and one doesn't.
But both GIVE Cl2 as a product. It is just that the later one gives HCl which then reacts with MnO2. (Thats what I think. ) to give Cl2.

mooncrater said:
But both GIVE Cl2 as a product. It is just that the later one gives HCl which then reacts with MnO2. (Thats what I think. ) to give Cl2.

That wasn't clear from the way the reaction equations were presented.

1. Why should I use H2SO4+NaCl instead of HCl?

H2SO4+NaCl, also known as hydrochloric acid and sodium chloride, is a more versatile and efficient acid combination compared to HCl alone. It has a stronger acidity and can be used in a wider range of applications.

2. What are the benefits of using H2SO4+NaCl over HCl?

One of the main benefits is that H2SO4+NaCl has a higher boiling point, making it more stable and easier to handle. It also has a lower vapor pressure, reducing the risk of inhalation. Additionally, H2SO4+NaCl can be used in reactions that require a stronger acid, while HCl may not be strong enough.

3. Is H2SO4+NaCl more cost-effective than HCl?

In most cases, H2SO4+NaCl is more cost-effective than HCl. This is because H2SO4+NaCl is readily available and has a longer shelf life, reducing the need for frequent purchases. It also has a higher concentration and efficiency, meaning less product is needed for the same results.

4. Can H2SO4+NaCl be used in reactions that require HCl?

Yes, H2SO4+NaCl can be used as a substitute for HCl in most reactions. In fact, it can be used in a wider range of reactions due to its stronger acidity. However, it is always important to consult a chemical reference or expert before making any substitutions in reactions.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using H2SO4+NaCl?

Like any chemical, H2SO4+NaCl should be handled with caution and proper safety measures should be taken. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling this acid combination. It is also important to follow proper disposal procedures to avoid any harm to the environment.