1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instrument Error or Standard Deviation

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    I had a question about how to properly perform error analysis on a series of distance measurements. I need to find the relative error in the distance. I was wondering, should I use the instrument uncertainty divided by the measurement (in this case, it would be 0.005m / (mean measurement)). Or, should I be using the formula that relates absolute error to standard deviation: σx=sx/(N1/2), then use this value to find relative error. Or, should I use whichever one is larger to account for the largest possible error?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2
    Both are reasonable ball park estimates, and using the larger one is a common approach. There are subtleties regarding random and systematic errors which prevent either from being rigorous.

4. Sep 30, 2015 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have a data set I always recommend calculating error from it directly. You should find ##\alpha = \frac{σ_{n-1}}{{n^{1/2}}}##, remember to calculate the standard deviation as n-1, you lose a degree of freedom when working from the set. You can then analyze the data, apply Chauvenet's criterion, relative error, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook